Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Advice on reliability and buying 2017+ Pacifica (including vs. Odyssey)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 02:04 PM
Default Advice on reliability and buying 2017+ Pacifica (including vs. Odyssey)

We’re looking at buying a recently used minivan and are down to the Pacifica and the 2015-2017 Honda Odyssey. I’ve done quite a bit of research but have always found the forums to be more reliable than a lot of other sources, so any input on the below would be appreciated (whether personal experience or what you’ve read or learned online):
  • How is the Pacifica’s reliability generally? Are there any known issues / weak points that I should be aware of going in? Almost all the reviews of the Pacifica are positive, but I’m concerned by the slew of ratings that rank it low on reliability (including Consumer Reports, which recently had it on the top 10 worst reliability). Since its only been out 2 years, there isn’t a lot of information on longer-term reliability prospects. I’ve never owned a car with this much tech and electronics in it, so I’m particularly worried about electronics (like adjustable seats, buttons, screens, etc.) having issues and being expensive to fix.
  • Related to the reliability question, any thoughts on getting a CPO vs. non-CPO Pacifica? Do you think it’s worth it? 3 months of non-powertrain warranty seems like pretty sparse coverage.
  • Any tips about features/options to definitely get vs. ones to avoid (or ones that have known issues)?
  • Lastly, it would be great to hear anyone’s thoughts about comparisons between the Pacifica and the 2015-2017 Odyssey, including reasons you chose the Pacifica over the Odyssey