Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Aftermarket Key Fob remote won't program

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Default Aftermarket Key Fob remote won't program

I bought my 2007 Pacifica with only one key-- decided to buy a couple spares, cheap Amazon stuff, but the reviews were good, seemed low risk enough.

This vehicle has the integrated Key and remote. Took them to a locksmith and he went to working programming them. Cut and programmed them no problem, but he brings them back to me and tells me the transmitters are not working. Batteries are good on all keys (I even tried new ones), and he had a little tester that was able to pick up a signal when the remotes were pressed. The keys will start the car fine, but the remote will not open doors or liftgate. He wasn't interested in spending any time troubleshooting, other than try to sell me a $70 key.

Given that I now have 2 keys that will start the vehicle, I try to go through the programming procedure myself which involves turning a working key to ON, then a second working key to ON, and putting a third key in to be programmed. I followed this procedure to a "T" and was able to get into programming mode no problem However, all times that I put the second key in, I get a message on the EVIC that says "invalid key & FOB," which changes to "program key & fob" after a couple seconds. It will do the exact same thing when I put the third key in. The light on the dash flashes like it's supposed to but it just won't program either remote. I have tried all possible key sequences (old key, new key1, new key2) (new key1, old key, newkey2, etc.) to no avail.

The locksmith said I might have bought the wrong remote, however I double checked the listing for the keys on Amazon, and the product I bought matches the FCC ID# on the back of my original remote exactly. Is there more than one key/remote style for a 2007 Pacifica?

I can certainly see getting a bad key, but the chances of two keys being dead on arrival is pretty slim. I can't help but think this guy didn't try to program the remote, or didn't use the right procedure-- there are too many examples of these keys working just fine for me not to wonder. I always thought that if the key was programmed the start the car, it automatically programs the remote? Is there a way to program the remote separately? Why am I getting a invalid key & fob message, when I have two working keys that both start the car? Curious if anyone can help shed some light on this, thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:07 PM

Pretty sure you have to have 2 working/ recognized fobs to self program a third or more fobs. Least ways that is how it has been for my current Chrysler/ dodge vehicles. Otherwise it is a trip to the dealer and a programming the cars system thru their Proprietary "star" scan system..

My mistake, I missed the part that the KEY/Chip is working. BUT evidently the module for the rest hasn't recognized the new chipped keys and FOB functions. You could try unhooking the battery of the car and leave it disconnected for 20 minutes a to reset things and then try your fobs.

Last edited by REBEL59; 09-22-2018 at 04:22 PM.