Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Airbag light after seat change

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Default Airbag light after seat change

I recently switched a seat in my Pacfica that was damaged with a seat from another Pacifica, both were identical. Since I purchased from a salvage and did the swap myself, I had no idea that this would result in the VIN from the replacement seat causing an error code and the airbag light satying on. I took it to a few auto parts stores who can normally clear trouble codes but they weren't able to clear the light. I was told the OBD computer needs to be "reset" to accept the new VIN. Is this something I will have to take to the dealer, and will this be an issue with the airbags?
Thanks!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Default RE: Airbag light after seat change

Let's see...are you sure that you made all connections under the seat? As you have probably realized when no one is in the seat the air bag light goes out (I think I have that right) and when someone is in the seat the light stays on. So, there is some kind of weight sensor for sure. If everything is hooked up correctly than I would try disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes and than reconnect it. The computer should restart and check itself. This might clear the code.
Good luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM

most air bag lights will clear themselves once the problem is fixed. It would be really nice to know the code to find your problem. It could be something simple like the seat belt not being plugged in. Which seat was replaced? Depending on the year and the system the seat might think its having a negitive weight on it. it knows it can't have a negitive weight so the light comes on. Find out the code and we can help further.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 AM

Thanks for the replies - don't have the actual code, will get later today. It apparently has nothing to do with the airbag, I am told that the VIN from the car does not match the VIN from the seat that was installed, and that is the problem. If I understand correctly, each seat has it's own OCM? Since the new seats OCM does not have the same VIN as my car, will unhooking the battery cause the computer to accept the new VIN from the new seat, or will I have to take it into the dealer and have them reprogram the computer?
The seats were from an *identical* car, '07 Touring w/grey leather, is this just overkill on the anti-theft front? Trying to avoid several labor hours for the dealer to fix, would probably just put the old seats back in instead.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 AM

I would double check the yellow connector,and then check if the bag/seatbelt, in or attached to the seat,has been messed with.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 PM

If you have a VIN mismatch you have to get a new OCM. When you buy your new OCM you also get a new seat bladder and foam for free. They just make it this way so they don't get sued if something happens. The easiest way to get your problem fixed is to be going to the dealer to have it put in. They are not fun to do.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:15 PM

From the service manual:
If I'm reading it right, if you replaced the entire seat with themdules intact I would expect the fault to clear.
[align=left]FRONT SEAT CUSHION FOAM /[/align][align=left]COVER[/align][align=left]REMOVAL[/align][align=left]A non-calibrated Occupant Classification Module[/align][align=left](OCM) is the only component of the Occupant Classification[/align][align=left]System (OCS) that is available for separate[/align][align=left]service replacement, as outlined in the procedures[/align][align=left]that follow. The OCS components of the passenger[/align][align=left]side front seat cushion including the cushion frame,[/align][align=left]springs, pad, occupant detection bladder, pressure[/align][align=left]sensor, seat cushion foam and the OCM are a factorycalibrated[/align][align=left]and assembled unit. Once this unit is connected[/align][align=left]to a vehicle electrically, the calibration[/align][align=left]settings are uploaded from the OCM and stored in[/align][align=left]the memory of the Airbag Control Module (ACM). If[/align][align=left]only the OCM is subsequently replaced, the new,[/align][align=left]non-calibrated OCM learns the proper calibration[/align][align=left]settings from the ACM after it is connected to the[/align][align=left]vehicle electrically.[/align][align=left]If any of the remaining OCS components of the[/align][align=left]passenger side front seat cushion require replacement,[/align][align=left]they are serviced only as a factory-calibrated,[/align][align=left]assembled, and tamper-evident service replacement[/align][align=left]package. This package includes the assembled frame,[/align][align=left]springs, pad, bladder, sensor, foam, wiring and a calibrated[/align][align=left]OCM. When installing this package, always[/align][align=left]replace all of the existing components with the new[/align][align=left]components as a unit. Do not attempt to separate or[/align][align=left]disconnect any of the new OCS components contained[/align][align=left]in the service replacement package from each[/align][align=left]other, and do not attempt to reuse any of the[/align][align=left]replaced components in this or any other vehicle.[/align][align=left]Once any of the original factory-installed components[/align][align=left]except the OCM have been replaced with the[/align][align=left]service replacement package components, the OCM[/align][align=left]can only be serviced by replacing the entire passenger[/align][align=left]side front seat cushion unit with another complete[/align][align=left]service replacement package.[/align][align=left]WARNING: TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR[/align][align=left]DEATH, ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS,[/align][align=left]DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM[/align][align=left]BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING[/align][align=left]WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, AIRBAG, OCCUPANT[/align][align=left]CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM, SEAT BELT TENSIONER,[/align][align=left]IMPACT SENSOR, OR INSTRUMENT[/align][align=left]PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE.[/align][align=left]DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE[/align][align=left](GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES[/align][align=left]FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE[/align][align=left]BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR[/align][align=left]SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE[/align][align=left]THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM.[/align][align=left]FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS[/align][align=left]COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT.[/align][align=left]WARNING: TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR[/align][align=left]DEATH ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE OCCUPANT[/align][align=left]CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM (OCS), ONLY THE[/align][align=left]OCCUPANT CLASSIFICATION MODULE (OCM) AND[/align][align=left]THE SEAT CUSHION TRIM MAY BE SERVICED SEPARATELY.[/align][align=left]ALL OTHER COMPONENTS OF THE PASSENGER[/align][align=left]SIDE FRONT SEAT CUSHION ASSEMBLY[/align][align=left]MUST BE SERVICED ONLY AS A COMPLETE FACTORY-[/align][align=left]CALIBRATED, ASSEMBLED AND TAMPER-EVIDENT[/align][align=left]SERVICE REPLACEMENT PACKAGE. THIS[/align][align=left]PACKAGE INCLUDES THE FRAME, SPRINGS, PAD,[/align][align=left]BLADDER, SENSOR, FOAM, WIRING AND A CALIBRATED[/align][align=left]OCM. WHEN INSTALLING THIS PACKAGE[/align][align=left]ALWAYS REPLACE ALL OF THE EXISTING COMPONENTS[/align][align=left]WITH THE NEW COMPONENTS AS A UNIT.[/align][align=left]DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SEPARATE OR DISCONNECT[/align][align=left]ANY OF THE NEW OCS COMPONENTS IN THE SERVICE[/align][align=left]REPLACEMENT PACKAGE FROM EACH[/align][align=left]OTHER, AND DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REUSE ANY OF[/align][align=left]THE REPLACED COMPONENTS IN THIS OR ANY[/align][align=left]OTHER VEHICLE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER[/align][align=left]PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN FAILURE OF[/align][align=left]THE PASSENGER AIRBAG TO DEPLOY WHEN[/align][align=left]REQUIRED, OR IN PASSENGER AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT[/align][align=left]WHEN NOT REQUIRED.[/align][align=left](1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative[/align][align=left]cable.[/align][align=left](2) Remove front seat. (Refer to 23 - BODY/[/align][align=left]SEATS/FRONT SEAT - REMOVAL).[/align][align=left](3) Remove front seat back from seat assembly.[/align][align=left](Refer to 23 - BODY/SEATS/FRONT SEAT BACK -[/align][align=left]REMOVAL).[/align][align=left](4) Disengage seat back cover J-straps and push[/align][align=left]pins attaching to seat cushion foam/cover to seat pan[/align][align=left](Fig. 8).[/align][align=left](5) Remove seat cushion foam/cover from seat pan.[/align][align=left](6) Separate seat cushion foam from seat cover[/align][align=left](Fig. 9).[/align][align=left]CS SEATS 23 - 121[/align][align=left]INSTALLATION[/align][align=left]A non-calibrated Occupant Classification Module[/align][align=left](OCM) is the only component of the Occupant Classification[/align][align=left]System (OCS) that is available for separate[/align][align=left]service replacement, as outlined in the procedures[/align][align=left]that follow. The OCS components of the passenger[/align][align=left]side front seat cushion including the cushion frame,[/align][align=left]springs, pad, occupant detection bladder, pressure[/align][align=left]sensor, seat cushion foam and the OCM are a factorycalibrated[/align][align=left]and assembled unit. Once this unit is connected[/align][align=left]to a vehicle electrically, the calibration[/align][align=left]settings are uploaded from the OCM and stored in[/align][align=left]the memory of the Airbag Control Module (ACM). If[/align][align=left]only the OCM is subsequently replaced, the new,[/align][align=left]non-calibrated OCM learns the proper calibration[/align][align=left]settings from the ACM after it is connected to the[/align][align=left]vehicle electrically.[/align][align=left]If any of the remaining OCS components of the[/align][align=left]passenger side front seat cushion require replacement,[/align][align=left]they are serviced only as a factory-calibrated,[/align][align=left]assembled, and tamper-evident service replacement[/align][align=left]package. This package includes the assembled frame,[/align][align=left]springs, pad, bladder, sensor, foam, wiring and a calibrated[/align][align=left]OCM. When installing this package, always[/align][align=left]replace all of the existing components with the new[/align][align=left]components as a unit. Do not attempt to separate or[/align][align=left]disconnect any of the new OCS components contained[/align][align=left]in the service replacement package from each[/align][align=left]other, and do not attempt to reuse any of the[/align][align=left]replaced components in this or any other vehicle.[/align][align=left]Once any of the original factory-installed components[/align][align=left]except the OCM have been replaced with the[/align][align=left]service replacement package components, the OCM[/align][align=left]can only be serviced by replacing the entire passenger[/align][align=left]side front seat cushion unit with another complete[/align][align=left]service replacement package.[/align][align=left]WARNING: TO AVOID PERSONAL INJURY OR[/align][align=left]DEATH, ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS,[/align][align=left]DISABLE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM[/align][align=left]BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING[/align][align=left]WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, AIRBAG, OCCUPANT[/align][align=left]CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM, SEAT BELT TENSIONER,[/align][align=left]IMPACT SENSOR, OR INSTRUMENT[/align][align=left]PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE.[/align][align=left]DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE[/align][align=left](GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES[/align][align=left]FOR THE SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE[/align][align=left]BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR[/align][align=left]SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE[/align][align=left]THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM.[/align][align=left]FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS[/align][align=left]COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT.[/align][align=left]Fig. 8 SEAT CUSHION AND COVER[/align][align=left]1 - SEAT CUSHION FOAM AND COVER[/align][align=left]2 - J-STRAPS[/align][align=left]3 - SEAT PAN[/align][align=left]4 - HEATING ELEMENT WIRE HARNESS[/align][align=left]Fig. 9 FRONT SEAT CUSHION FOAM[/align][align=left]1 - SEAT HEATING ELEMENT WIRE HARNESS[/align][align=left]2 - SEAT HEATING ELEMENT[/align]3 - SEAT CUSHION FOAM

Old 11-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Default Calibrate seat sensor yorself

This worked on my Chrysler 300C

Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 PM
Default Calibrations

A lot of times ,in vehicles with passenger weight sensors , when seat has been changed it will have to have the seat weight sensors calibrated

Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by HarleyWeewax
I recently switched a seat in my Pacfica that was damaged with a seat from another Pacifica, both were identical. Since I purchased from a salvage and did the swap myself, I had no idea that this would result in the VIN from the replacement seat causing an error code and the airbag light satying on. I took it to a few auto parts stores who can normally clear trouble codes but they weren't able to clear the light. I was told the OBD computer needs to be "reset" to accept the new VIN. Is this something I will have to take to the dealer, and will this be an issue with the airbags?
Thanks!

You have probably already solved this but for those who may come after, if you pull your seats in many new cars trucks suvs etc the onboard computer notes this and it sends out the error it is telling you to go to the dealer because the seat sensors that check for weight in the seat could be out of wack. its a safety measure so the airbag does not deploy with the strength to stop a 250 pound adult when its a 13 year old kid sitting in the seat. as far as I know there's no way for the owner to calibrate or clear it I tried and tried even in the course of other repairs where Id disconnected the bat cycled keys attacher code clearing tools|