Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Anybody out there towing with their Pacifica? Has it been a good expereince?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 05:17 PM
Default Anybody out there towing with their Pacifica? Has it been a good expereince?

Hi all,

I've done some searching around and found a few posts here and there but nothing quite like what I was looking for. Is anyone towing semi-frequently with their Pacifica? I added a hitch and wired ours in for a trailer. My girlfriend and I have been pulling my 5x8 deckover trailer around with the dirtbikes and karts on it whenever we go to ride and race. From what I can see there is no difference between the "Tow Packaged" Pacifica and our current one with the exception of the built in electronic sway control. I've been looking for a way to make race days simpler and more enjoyable and love the idea of a 6X12 or 6X14 foot single axle box trailer with the bikes and some cots to camp on in them. The smaller single axle trailers are only rated for 3000lb total weight and would be well within the manufacturer specs on the tow package Pacifica. We would probably only be around 2000lb realistically because the bikes and amenities we want to bring aren't very heavy. I could get a sway control or even load distributing hitch and I would be willing to bet it will do a better job than whatever electronic stuff is added onto the tow version.

Has anyone towed something like this with these vans on here? My main concern is that the large front area of the box trailer, even with the V-Nose cutting the wind will still have a lot of extra load for the van to overcome that a typical utility trailer wouldn't. I also would like to know how the factory trans holds up to the extra load. From what I can tell there is no additional cooling of any type for the trans in the tow package and only a slightly larger radiator. I would add the wiring in for a brake controller to prevent the trailer from adding any additional load to the Pacifica's brakes and as an additional means of sway control. If the van can pull it without struggling I think it would be ok for a once every few week thing but as always hearing others experiences helps.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2024, 10:34 AM
Default Pacifica towing

I have been towing with the Chrysler Pacifica for over 10 years - 3 different years of Pacificas

I ordered each with the tow package - which does include a transmission cooler. I had a previous Dodge Grand Caravan without trans cooler and it was a problem. Trans blew up.

You need to be careful of heavy braking You need a trans cooler if you are anywhere near the max tow weight.