Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

asd fuse blowing right away!!!! help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Default asd fuse blowing right away!!!! help!!!

i have a 04 pacifica wouldnt start put in a new starter and battery and it now turns over but still wont start. ive figured out that the asd fuse blows the second the key is turned to the on position even without tuning the motor over. ive read everything i could find for this problem and seen a couple people mention an asd system short. i have no idea where the brown and white wire runs to after coming out of the fuse box. what components does this wire include.im sure that nothing happened to any of the wiring harnesses while changing the starter and battery. if anyone could help me diagnose this issue that would be awsome!!!

Old 01-29-2015, 08:15 PM

Samantha, are you still having this problem ? Please let us know something about it. Sorry that no one has made a reply to you. I may have some ideas. Thank you. *BW*

Old 01-29-2015, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

to correctly figure out whats going on with that issue A will need a wire diagram B will need a volt meter and C will need some time to unplug things and see whats blowing teh fuse.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:31 PM

Yes we are still having this problem unfortunately. We even went back to square one and tested the starter to see if that was the issue and we got no where. I do have all the wiring diagrams and I believe we have a volt meter as well. I believe my dad (he is the one who is working on it and been testing things) is going to go down to AutoZone and rent a code reader to see if we can get something from that. We have pretty much tried, checked and attempted all that we can think of and are not sure where to go next?

Old 02-01-2015, 04:31 PM

Hey Samantha,

No pro and I'm looking at my 2005 shop manual. First here is an article that talks generally about ASD in the Chrysler ignition system. ASD is new to me and I had to read up on it.

Secondly, from my shop manual I see that immediately downstream if you will of the ASD fuse (37 in my car) is the ASD relay (51 as I recall). I don't know how to bench test a relay, but I noticed in my car that the ASD relay and several others had the same part number. So maybe you could remove and inspect the ASD relay, it's terminals and power module receptacle for anything suspicious, signs of arcing etc. in the absence of any of those, you might swap another identical relay - there are two for the WS wipers, and see what happens. If fuse 37 blows, you have ruled out the ASD relay being shorted internally. The short is further along.

On the '05, the BR/WT wire leaving the integrated power module (under hood fuse box) goes to the PCM and to each of the coils, fuel injectors and the noise suppressor.

Let us know. Best of luck

Old 02-01-2015, 06:49 PM

We have tested and checked the br/wt wire and they seem to be intact and not corroded at all. They pulled back the sheathing on the wire harness and all seems fine with that too. We have pulled and tested the relays and there is no reason to believe they are the problem. We have rented a code reader and it isn't pulling any codes either, which I am not sure why it wouldn't?

Seriously at a loss for words and running out of options on what else we can do or check.

Old 02-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

a short to ground blowing a fuse is not anything that will show up on a code reader.

so your fuse 37 25amp is blowing correct?
the pcm connector C3 all coils all fuel injectors and the manifold tuning valve they are the items u want to unplug each at a time until the fuse will stop blowing

Old 02-01-2015, 09:58 PM

Samantha, glad to hear from you. Chrysler Tech and Busboy have made some excellent comments. A first question is why did you replace the starter and battery ? Did the car run ok before you has some sort of trouble ? We think you should label some of the relays that are same as the ASD one and remove some of them like the one for A/C, Fuel pump before you "test" anymore fuses. Something else could be causing the fuse to blow since there are other splices going to other items. Do this and see if the fuses still blow and if not replace the relays one by one. Wonder if the ASD relay itself could be the problem but not likely. Dumber things have happened before. Hang in and let us know. Good luck. *BW*

Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 PM
Default BusyBoy

Would you be able to send or post a picture of this wiring diagram for me?
Let me know. I am having the same problem with fuse 37 and have been trying to find a wiring diagram.
Thanks

Old 05-18-2021, 09:53 PM
Default Simple fix

Originally Posted by bubba0019
Would you be able to send or post a picture of this wiring diagram for me?
Let me know. I am having the same problem with fuse 37 and have been trying to find a wiring diagram.
Thanks
i had the same issue check your ground wire from eng to transmission it may be broken also try replacing tye fround wire with a lighter gauge wire the problem i had was the ground wire from eng to transmission was bad hope it helps