Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

A/C not keeping pressure - 2007 Pacifica 4.0L

Old 07-08-2018, 07:44 PM
Default A/C not keeping pressure - 2007 Pacifica 4.0L

Bought this car used, and immediately noticed the A/C wasn't working. The dealer and I worked out a fair price taking that into consideration, but before I bought it I asked him to try a can of refrigerant to see if the system worked (compressor, etc.) or if there was something major. The A/C kicked on right away with a refrigerant top-up, worked well on the 5-hour drive home, but a week later it's lost enough pressure that the compressor won't kick on. I don't want to keep introducing air into the system with constant refills, so here I am. The last can had UV dye in it. Is there anything DIY in this type of repair I can perform, or should it just go to a trusted mechanic? I think I already know the answer, but wanted others' opinions first.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:13 PM

I just went thru this goat rodeo with my '05 Pac. Like yours, mine had a leak. I pumped my system full of PEG lube oil and UV dye, charged up the system w/ freon and kept an eye out for the leak. My leak was at the condenser, $80 at RockAuto and has been cooling well ever since. The Pac A/C is relatively easy to work on, with the exception if you have to R&R the Evaporator, then like any modern car you have to pull the A/C-Heater box out of the dash, which is a real nite-mare.
To tackle basic A/C repair, you will need gauges and vacuum pump, fr Harbor Freight not to expensive. The rest is fairly easy, just pray you don't find the PEG and UV dye coming from your evaporator drain....

Old 07-18-2018, 12:39 PM

I just repaired my 07 and the leak was also at the cond coil. Easy fix.