Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Car Top Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Default Car Top Carrier

I have a 2004 Pacifica and am looking to purchase a car top carrier. Any suggestions as to best brands to use with Pacifica and easiest way to attach?

Old 09-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Car Top Carrier

I have Yakima "Space Cadet" mount on the factory option roof rack bars. (tried to add photo but file was "to large"). Not the slimmer profile that may come stock. Yakima does not know if they will hold the weight and wind lift so I opted for the heavier duty (125 lb weight bearing per bar).

Yakima and Thule make several different model boxes. All depends on how big you want to go. They are both very easily removed and installed from the bars.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 PM

AThule Atlantis 1600 (around $475-$525, 16 cubic feet)just BARELY fits with the factory bars, the clamps end up about 1/4 inch clear of the roof, and with the box and factory bars adjusted as far forward as possible, it just clears the factory antenna and thus has no problem with the rear hatch. Any longer Thule would almost assuredly not be clear of the rear hatch. With the higher Mopar "Sport Utility Bars" (around $200)clearance would not beany issue at all. The Atlantis can be had in either silver or black, the silver is a reasonably good (not perfect) match for the factory silver paint, at least in my 2008 model. I am still using the factory bars but the fairly tight clearance off the roof is making me consider getting the upgraded crossbars from the dealer.

This box is about 36 wide by 74 long and just a bit over 16 inches high at the highest point. With it adjusted all the way forward to clear the hatch, the front of the box is just about even with the front of the sunroof, if you have one.

Installation is easy, except for the clearance issue which makes you want to getthe boxperfectly centered on the car so the clamps just clear the outside of each outermost roof "rib" on your car. With the higher optional bars you could literally throw it on (or take it off) and go in 3 to 5 minutes, with one other person to help you set it on the car.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Got the Yakima SkyBox 18 mounted on the factory roof rack with the standard Pac cross bars (optional for $100). Pretty easy to get on and off, is low enough to still drive into the standard height garage door (don't need to load and unload outside in the winter), still enough cubic feet of storage to back a BUNCH in.

Clamps to ride a bit on the roof when the box is loaded but have not seen any damage/problems as a result.