Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

chrysler pacifica cleaned throttle body now throttle control problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Default chrysler pacifica cleaned throttle body now throttle control problem

Hi,
I cleaned my throttle control body (3.8 litre 2007 pacifica). the car runs great. Now the electronic throttle control light comes on and the car wont go very fast and idles too fast. The traction control light comes on shortly afteward as well. However, restating the car instantly clears this problem for a while. this never happened before I cleaned the throttle body. I also disconnected the battery to clear the codes after starting it. Help!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Default Update

I also replaced the EGR valve. However, the car was put back together with a bad gasket on the air intake pipe to the EGR. I now have a new gasket and will put it in. Could this have been the problem?

Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

U fed up the throttle body with that cleaner u used or what ever u did to it U get to visit the dealer to have a new one put on and programed.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Default Update

Actually today the car runs better than ever before. Must have been that missing gasket. all check engine lights off. FYI to chrysler tech: cleaning the throttle body does NOT require a trip to the dealer

Old 10-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

never said it does require a trip to the dealer if it would have been done correctly the first time

Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 AM

I just got a call from the dealer saying that my idle surging problem is being caused by a "carboned up and dirty throttle body" is there a way to clean this with out having to take the entire thing apart? and of course this is not covered under warranty "arg". any help would be great. I am running mid grade gas thru it and have used a bottle or two of STP injrctor fuel sys cleaner. BTW 2007 with 4.0 liter. with about 37500 miles. thanks

Old 11-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Default Clean throttle body

Just take off the rubber hose leading to the throttle. Use an approved cleaner for throttle bodies. Use a piece of wood to hold open the butterfly valve on the throttle body. Car will be hard to start and run bad for a while. But you will be amazed at the results. Use a tooth brush if you want - the carbon comes off very easily. Cost you 3 dollars and about 20 minutes. No need to be a tech to do this. Ignore my problem as I am sure my issue was caused by the missing EGR gasket

Old 11-03-2010, 02:15 PM

Search this forum for "cleaning throttle body". I think there is a post on here that shows the step by step the procedure including pictures. ( At least I think it's here....I saw it somewhere)

Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 AM

I did the self clean with a can of OTC. spray throttle body cleaner ( Make sure it is throttle body safe NOT just a can of spray carb cleaner!!) and am running a bottle of gumout injector fuel sys cleaner and 93 octain gas. carefaully removed hose from airbox. to TB. and sprayed solution in small bursts. at idle. I found the trick is finding someone to help hold the throttle open at about 2500rpm. I ended up using the old carefully placed broom stick. also I did NOT disconnect the hose completely that way the temp sensor was working and would not throw codes, I carefully laid it on top of the motor. I had no problems and I get no warning lights. it did seem to solve my throttle surging issue. I also replace the battery with a everstart maxx type 34 from walmart. ( $ 77.00 plus core ) and it starts much better. increase cca from 600 to 850. and longer reserve so when the wife goes nuts with the power lift gate it won't leave her stranded. thanks for the suggestions hope the result explanation helps others. Btw. I also did install a K&N direct replacement filter right after we got the pacifica about 2 mo. ago. and I knowticed that does help with midrange pick up.