Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Cleaning Pacifica's Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Default Cleaning Pacifica's Throttle Body

I took my 2004 Pacifica AWDin for service for another issue which was fixed. I mentioned to the service dept that the gas sticks a little. They said the Throttle Body has a buildup of carbon and needs cleaning. Sinceit's a maintence issue Waranty will not cover this.

So do I take it back to them a let them do it for +/- $200 Labor or do I try it myself.

Is this an easy job?

I've seen other websites show this step by stepbeing done for other make & model cars, but I've found no such websitefor the Pacifica.

Has anyone done this on their Pacifica?

I think I could do it myself if I had a step by step guide

Any Advice!

Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
moe
Default RE: Cleaning Pacifica's Throttle Body

pretty straight forward.take a can of carb cleaner spray it on a rag.open the blades (picture #1)and wipe out black build up.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:17 AM

Thanks, Thats Great!

One other thing,How about removeing the plastic engine covertoo get access to the throttle Body do you have anotherdiagram for that.

Thanks agian.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
moe

it pops straight up its mounted on rubber grommets

Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks Agian!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM

My 2006 Pacifica is doing the same thing with the gas peddle. Took it to the dealership yesterday and was told "it is an engine problem with the Pacifica that causes carbon to build up on the throttle and for $89.95 we will clean it off". I was shocked because I assumed it would be covered, especially if it is because of an engine issue. I called the NHTSA to report my problem...please do the same. The number is 1-888-327-4236 and it takes about ten minutes. The more complaints they get about this the sooner they will open an investigation.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM

..and don't cross-post!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:20 PM

Hey folks, sorry to bring this back to the top, I have the sticking pedal (along with a host of other issues but that is another post) so I got to cleaning the Throttle Body, I did remove the cable for the MAF and some vac hose that I am not sure what'ts called.

I put it all back together and forgot to put the sensor back in and the hose, so I got the check engine light. Whoops, I plugged everything back up correctly and started the car again but the check engine light is still on. Is there a way to clear that or do I have to go back to the dealer for that?

Thanks and sorry for the dumb question.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM

If you put it all back together correctly, the light should go out after a few trip cycles, ie, start, warm up, shut off, cool down.

If you don't want to wait, go to Autozone and have them hook up their OBD scanner. Be sure to grab any codes before clearing in case something else is going on.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: dcotter0579

If you put it all back together correctly, the light should go out after a few trip cycles, ie, start, warm up, shut off, cool down.

If you don't want to wait, go to Autozone and have them hook up their OBD scanner. Be sure to grab any codes before clearing in case something else is going on.
Thanks for the post, I kind of figured it may clear itself, I may go out there and run it for a bit.

But if it doesn't I will be at the dealer in 500 miles and have them pull codes if it's still there. The dealer is doing a oil consumption test with the car right now. Fun times.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Pacifica's Throttle Body