Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

electrical\starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Default electrical\starting issue

I have a 2005 Pacifica. Love the car, the ride, the handling. I am having problems with the electrical system though. I have had the car totally die on me twice now. The car is back to the dealership (second time in the past year) for the same problem...... the first time they told me it was an issue with the wiring harness, and replaced it. The car was fine for about 4 months but the other day went to leave for work,, totally dead again. No interior lights, no power what so ever. I park it in a garage so I am sure no lights (or similar cause) were left on. I haven't heard from the dealer yet on the resolution of the current problem, but will post it when I have the answer. I would just like to know if any other owners are having electrical\starting problems similar to this, thx.
l

Old 10-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Default RE: electrical\starting issue

We have an 04 Pac and are experiencing the same problems. Ours occurs more frequently than yours, though. Ours is also currently in the shop. Please share anything you find out about this problem, and we'll do the same.
Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM

My first thought was a faulty security starter disabler or something.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:25 PM

thanks for the post, i'm also having electrical problems
mine is a 2005, i haven't thought about the security disable ... but just replaced the battery, it seems alot happier. could be the factory batteries are not the best, and at $70 for a new one, i can feel better. i did hear a whine, could be the alternator, but the starter never failed before last w.e. just lights flickering. i've worked on cars in the past, also do electrical, and feel that the newer cars have so much stuff on them, it's a wonder we don't see more. but it's also about cheap, all big 3 are cutting costs with cheap connectors. please keep informed, i'll post more if i learn something.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM

I was wondering what different electrical problems you are having and if they are similar to mine. We have an 04, and are having "intermediate" problems. Every once and a while, when you go to crank it, it will crank and then shut off. Dealer told us that it was in "theft" mode. No deal. We tried everything he told us to do, and it worked the first time, but now are having the same problems. Different dealer told us that it was one of two things-the keys or the screen "skim" module (the part that tells the car to start). We replaced that, but it has since done it again. Going in the shop Wednesday. Any suggestions?

Old 10-17-2006, 10:43 PM

just got back

yes, i think these type of problems are unique to chrysler, the electrical is not perfect, but so far not many are reported. shutting off after start seems to me to be more in line with fuel control, i would think you don't have alot of miles, the injectors should not be bad, unless you used bad fuel. the other culprit would be the filter, it needs to be fairly clean for good mixture. the sensors will pick up on big problems, but mine will have a chime go off with no indication, so i'm not thrilled about the computer package. if the basics are good, the skim module could come into play - i just think they could do better at service, rather than guessing. the work force is not what it used to be, i like to go back into the shop and watch, if you see incompetence, leave. that's sad, should be better, but a fact. look for the best dealer service, reputation, or an independent. but please share the results, that's what's missing, the service won't share it. get with the manager, insist on details, and let them know you expect better, push them hard, it's their job

Old 11-24-2006, 03:53 PM

I've been reading up on the Pacifica, love it's style, driving, all of it. Looked in the Consumer Reports magazine, a black circle is a bad thing, they show the electrical with a black circle. Go to consumerguide.com and get the lowdown. I hate to say this, but from all the forums and from the research I've done, I probably won't be buying this vehicle, which is a major bummer, since I and my daughters just loved it, but can't afford to have problems, we go out of town too much for that.

Marsha

Old 02-01-2007, 11:26 AM

this is what my 1999 town & country was doing. To expand, mine would crank and start, then stall, 3 times only. After the 3rd try, it would disable itself so you could not crank it again. Chrysler was unable to help EVER. So, one computer at a time, I arrived at the dashpanel, where the tachometer has a feedback to the computer to let the car know it's running - IF the tach signal doesn't get back to the computer, then the computer kills the fuel (stalls) and after 3 failed attempts, the security thinks someone is trying to steal it. so it disables the car for some random period of time. In OUR case, it was the dash board circuit, the back panel of the instrument cluster. Good Luck -