Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

First snowstorm with the AWD Pac

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Default First snowstorm with the AWD Pac

Got to try out the Pac with the Blizzak DM-Z3 snow tires today on really crappy roads. Very pleased with the performance of the car & the tires.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Default RE: First snowstorm with the AWD Pac

Hi, Sarg.
(New Member, 07 FWD Touring)

I definitely need to get Blizzack DM-Z3's for next year ....these stock Michelins just don't cut it.
The Michelin's areexcellent in other weather,but not great in the snow.

With that much weight on the front end with front wheel drive, it should really pull alot better through the deep stuff.
Some slippage on cornering was noticable too, it really needs a more aggressive tread for winter usage.

Just out of curiosity, what rims did you get for with them at TireRack? (saw your original post about getting tires, why do have to drive when it's snowing out anyway? )

Old 12-22-2008, 06:15 AM

I acquired a set of stock alloys from a 05 Pac via Ebay and then the tires through Tirerack primarily because the local businesses did not want to order them. Including new TMPS I've got a little over $1100. in the four wheels & tires.

I do not regret spending the money. Even though today .... I could stay home if I wished ..... it's good to be prepared if we must go out in the weather.

I would buy the tires and the wheels as a package from Tirerack without hesitation because I've done just that several times over the years.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM

Is there any reason why you chose this particular model number [DM-Z3]for the PAC,as I see Bridgestone makes several other styles?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Just liked the tread appearance and noted the high ratings they rec'd from others. I was originally trying to buy Perelli Ice & snow scorpions but was swayed by the ratings and the few dollars cheaper price of the DM-Z3s.
We just got back from a trip to the mall thirty miles away. Parkinglots covered with drifts, ice and blowing snow. Interstate covered as well. No problems driving around the vehicles stuck here n there. A few years ago I had a 97 Ram 4x4 with 265r75-16 studded snowtires on it that did not handle the bad conditions as well as this Pac does.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:07 PM

I forgot to factor in the TPSM Valves into the overall cost. Thanks for that tip.

I may just go ahead and get the tires this season, and work on getting some rims during the off season, I don't think I can wait if the snow keeps up like this...brr

Old 12-22-2008, 05:45 PM

ORIGINAL: SARG

Just liked the tread appearance and noted the high ratings they rec'd from others. I was originally trying to buy Perelli Ice & snow scorpions but was swayed by the ratings and the few dollars cheaper price of the DM-Z3s.
We just got back from a trip to the mall thirty miles away. Parkinglots covered with drifts, ice and blowing snow. Interstate covered as well. No problems driving around the vehicles stuck here n there. A few years ago I had a 97 Ram 4x4 with 265r75-16 studded snowtires on it that did not handle the bad conditions as well as this Pac does.
So you were not impressed with the winter handling of the OEM Michelin Cross Terrain?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:05 PM

Not familiar with the Cross Terrain as my Pac came with the Energy MXV4 plus. I am a big fan of the studless snowtires with the special rubber compounds they use today. This will be my third set of Blizzaks and they all have been terrific in snow & ice.

The set before these DM-Z3s was the WS50s on a 91 Caddy Coupe Deville that I used to drive back and forth to work .... 25 miles each way. It made the winter trips much less stressful.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:33 PM

Sarg,
What size tires do you have 17 or 19's. I have the 19's but will think about switching to 17's when they need replacing. I'm thinking of that for cost (after the initial wheel replacement, the tires will be cheaper), better selection (since the selection of 19 in are limited) and better ride (I find the 19's a little stiff).

Old 12-26-2008, 10:31 AM

I have the 17" i.e. 235R65-17.
And they also ride rough. As mentioned in another post the one issue that I don't like with the Pac is the "rattley" front end and ride quality.

Quick Reply: First snowstorm with the AWD Pac