Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Front Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Default Front Suspension Noise

Hey,

I am hearing some noise from the front (sounds like right front) when going over bumps and potholes. (not huge bumps or potholes). I usually hear it during city driving. Highway driving I don't hear any noise.

I don't feel anything under braking or steering, just hear some clunk.

It's a '05, 3.5L, approx. 175,000km (108,000 miles). I recently did tire rotation on my own and couldn't find the source.

Any ideas on where to look, and yes, I will take it to mechanic soon, but want some feedback first.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 PM

I'm here for the exact same question, mines a 06 with 3.5. I'm going out to jack it up and take a look but thought I would check here for any info first. Mine sounds like what you would think a loose shock would sound like lots of clunking and cracking. it does it when in the driveway going in gear or turning the wheels small bumps. sounds like the whole thing could collapse, thats why I'm checking

Old 03-08-2012, 02:18 PM

TSB #03-002-06

SUBJECT:
Front Hub/Half Shaft Click/Pop Sound

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a rubber gasket to the face of the half shaft that mounts to the hub bearing.

MODELS:
2004 - **2006** (CS) Pacifica
NOTE: **Every time the front half shafts are serviced, the rubber gasket must be
replaced.** (Part #04809863AB - Gasket, Axle)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Vehicle may exhibit a popping/clicking/snapping/ticking sound from the front hub/half shaft area during acceleration after Drive to Reverse or Reverse to Driving shifts. The sound may also be present while turning and accelerating from a stop.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM

TSB #02-004-05

MODELS:
2004 - 2005 (CS) Pacifica

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
A creaking, squawking, squeaking, grinding, groaning sound from the front strut area while turning in either direction during low speed parking lot maneuvers.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves applying lubricant to the jounce bumper of both front struts.

Last edited by ChryslerCares; 03-09-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 AM

The noises described with this half shaft issue are not the noises that we are hearing. I too am hearing the same noises going over small bumps and holes while slow speed driving. I have an 06 Pac Touring. It sounds like real loose ball joints or badly worn suspension parts but it's not. My noise too is coming from the right front. I stuck all kinds of foam around the wheel well moulding thinking it was that, but it's not. Ball joint is good, tie rod and all other linkage is tight. I do have very slight play in the wheel bearing, but I don't think it's that. It's been making this noise for a long time but I can't find whatever it is thats making the noise. Anyone figure it out?? I'll let you know if replacing the bearing hub does anything but I'm not getting my hopes up. I do not hear this noise when putting it into gear, or backing up or any other time except when I'm driving city speed limits and I hit a small hole or bumps in the road. It almost sounds like something is loose inside the fender or wheelwell and is bouncing around, passenger side only.

Last edited by grbullets; 03-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM

I found another thread regarding a similar issue:

https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...nk-front-2181/

Seems it's the sway bar bushings. I will investigate the bushings soon, since nicer weather is coming. Will jack it up on the driveway and take a look.

Thanks ChryslerCares for the TSBs. Nice info to have.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM

My clunk was the lower control arm bushing on both sides. I took the $750 pill at my local front end shop. If I had done it myself it wasn't going to be free as the parts were nearing $400, so I made the decision not to lay on my butt in the driveway for $350 savings.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:27 AM

Seems to me that if all your control arm bushings were bad, you would have had some bad tire wear issues as well as slop in the steering wheel. I don't have any of those issues. My tires are wearing perfectly so far (knock on wood).I checked all my front end components except for the sway bar bushings. Makes sense. I'll check them out as soon as it warms up a little. I'll be doing the wheel bearings soon so might as well do the bushings too if it's a common problem. For $20 you'd be nuts not to. Now I'm itching to see what my bushings look like.You gotta love this forum!

Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by grbullets
Seems to me that if all your control arm bushings were bad, you would have had some bad tire wear issues as well as slop in the steering wheel.
I had a clunk when initially stopping or starting as the slack from the lose bushings went the other way.

I had no steering slop and it drove fine. There was a slight pull in some conditions but nothing I would run to the alignment shop over.

Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 AM

I found the driver side sway bar link end was touching the lower control arm where it is mounted (metal to metal). End link was touching because the sway bar had slid to the driver side and was no longer centered on car. I loosen (no need to remove end links) the mounting nuts on the end link that connects to the bottom control arms and sway bar, then using a crow bar I centered the sway bar. Tighten end link nuts tight. The end link does not touch control arm anymore and there is no more noise from the driver side or passenger side when I go over bumps or turn left going over bumps. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension Noise