Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

04 AWD Pacifica has Clunk from the front

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:41 PM
Default 04 AWD Pacifica has Clunk from the front

Hi - we just recently purchased a 2004 pacifica, 36k miles on it. When we brake hard or hit a bump with any speed, there's a clunk, like something it hitting the underside of the vehicle. we had the PTU unit replaced or installed last week and it didn't seem to address the issue. any other thoughts on what may be causing the issue? Could it be something like a bad shock and it's making the noise both at braking and at bumps because of the compression caused in both scenarios? Upon looking, it looks like there are several TSB's regarding the issue we're seeing. How are TSB's used or addressed by a dealership? I don't think i've ever had to use a factory recall or a TSB to get a vehicle fixed - how do these work?

Old 11-14-2006, 06:14 PM
Default RE: 04 AWD Pacifica has Clunk from the front

I had I said I had a 2004 and and I had the same problem, each time I hit a bump it would feel like it was hitting something underneath and or when stopping it sounded like something was crunching always..............They could never get it fixed for me.
I am proud to say I don't own that car anymore as I never felt safe it in ever, as it would die sometimes while going up slight grades down grades turning corners, just a lot of problems with that beautiful car.
sorry to hear your having the same problems.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 11-14-2006, 07:36 PM

hmmm - that doesn't sound too hopeful. i have it at the dealership right now... they should be calling fairly soon to let me know if the issue is fixed. seems wierd thaty something causing such a loud noise is that difficult to find and correct. I did find TBS 01011901 & 100103 regarding popping/clicking/snapping sounds at the front hub, although i'm not sure what to do with these TBS's. do these indicate that theyt'd be covered by Chrysler?

Old 11-14-2006, 08:22 PM

well, got it back from the dealership - they said that the undercarriage swingarm bolts were loose and needed to be tightened. I tried replicating the problem and it seems to be gone!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 PM

[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 AM

I had a similar clunk with a 2004 FWD Pacifica. The dealer tightened the "spliine bolts" and the car was as good as new

Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Default FIXED mine! Twas Sway Bar Bushings

Have a '05 Pac, FWD, with 125k miles. Has been a great car, but for the last 35k miles or so it developed a "clunking" sound when hitting small bumps in the road. Sounded like someone kicking the floor pan, up near the front wheels.

Decided to change out the Sway Bar end links, $50 from O'Reilly auto parts for a pair w/ lifetime warranty. This fixed the problem maybe 25%. With the end link off, I could grap the bar and move it slightly, this created a bumping sound since the sway bar bushings were evidently worn out.

Next I decided to change out the Sway Bar Bushings myself. Bushings not available from local auto parts, had to get from my Chry dealer, cost was $18 for the pair.
THIS FIXED THE PROBLEM 100%, CAR IS NOW SUPER QUIET ONCE AGAIN.

Tips & Tricks should you wish to do this yourself:
1_ The bolts which hold the sway bar bushing bracket in place have a 15mm head. Obtain 1 or more 15mm box end and open end wrenches in advance.
A long wrench to get the bolts broke free, a shorter one to spin them off.
Maybe a 15mm "ratchet end wrench" as well. (a reg socket set will not help at all)
2_ Do the passenger side first, it is slightly easier.
3_ You will have to be prepared to remove the tie rod end from the stearing knuckle (use a tie rod fork tool, try not to rip the tie rod rubber boot up)
4_ You can do one side at a time; (the Chry repair book says to take both wheels off and do the work simultaneously on each end)
5_Should you desire to go w/ an aftermarket bushing set, the sway bar OD is 1 1/16".
The Center-to-Center bolts used to hold the bracket is about 3 5/8".
The bracked height is 2 1/4" overall.

Link to Chrysler Pacifica Shop Manual, how to replace sway bar bushings: http://issuu.com/DickWood/docs/stabi...bar_pacifica/1

Last edited by djetelina; 12-22-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Add link -> how-to-guide to replace bushings
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 AM
Default Clunking front end

After replacing the tie rod ends the rattling was improved slightly. I continued on to the sway bar links. This was a fix I discussed with a technician at Chrysler. I found my old links were worn but this didn't eliminate the pounding noise I was hearing from the front end. Soon after I noticed, (while under the car), the cradle was rusting through. I called the local dealer and they had me bring the car in to check the issue and found that yes I had one of the suspect cradles. One week later the new cradle came in and they replaced it along with the lower control arms, (all under warranty). I got the car back and low and behold, the clunking remained. I was almost ready to give up when I read a post of the sway bar bushings being worn. Well, these being the only parts on the front end that haven't been replaced, I thought I would give it a try. They are only available through the dealer, so I picked them up on the way home. Finally got around to installing them this past weekend and yes my six year clunking ordeal is over. The front end is quiet and the car has gone back to one of my favorite vehicles,...again. Persistence and this forum have once again paid off.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 PM

How many miles were on your Pacifica? Chrysler paid to have your control arms replaced as part of the "rusted out" frame repair?

Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM

My Pacifica had 120,000+ miles on it. The cradle was so bad I could push my finger through it. They had issues getting the control arms off, so they replaced them at the same time n/c. The clunking in the front end remained so like I said, I finally replaced the front sway bar bushings and the clunking went away.

Quick Reply: 04 AWD Pacifica has Clunk from the front