Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Fuel Pump or Possibly Something Else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Default Fuel Pump or Possibly Something Else?

I bought an '05 Chrysler Pacifica back in March. During my 30 day warranty period, I had some things addressed. The biggest being my fuel pump. Dealership put in new fuel pump but it didn't solve my issue of the car losing all power when going >8mph and then all of a sudden surging ahead. Dealership couldn't figure it out and gave it to the Chrsyler dealership to troubleshoot. Chrysler put in another fuel pump, fixed a spliced wire, replaced the EGR valve and updated the computer software. Problem fixed. Then on May 31st my car just died. It was sputtery and very bogged down and then eventually wouldn't move; like it wasn't getting fuel. I had it towed to the dealership that night and after the weekend they took a peek at it and it was my fuel pump again. Even though it was outside my 30 day warranty with them, the fuel pump itself was still under warranty with their supplier and was deemed "defective". They replaced the fuel pump and we were back in business until...
2 weeks ago upon starting my car it wouldn't start. It would try to kick over but it was apparent that it was getting enough fuel to start. After trying it 3 times, it finally started but was sputtery at first. (Possible low pressure from the fuel pump?) I had to wait the next day to call the dealership and was told to bring it down to have them take a peek. Of course, when I get there it fires up every single time. It only doesn't start after it's been sitting for a couple of hours. We plugged it into the OBD machine and fuel pressure was good and wasn't throwing off any codes. The manager of the service department (whom I've been dealing with this entire time) suggested I turn the key to the "ON" position 3 times before trying to start it, so as to send the message to the computer to activate the fuel pump. I am to report back to him after the weekend. I do what he suggests and report back to him. Yes, it works but at times it's still very sputtery and needs to be left to idle for a bit because it's like it's not getting the proper amount of fuel or pressure.
He then suggests I change my battery in my key, which I did last night. No difference. I honestly didn't think it would make a difference because my key does not have a chip in it, it's just a key fob for arming/disarming my alarm. But I humored him anyway. I called him this morning and told him it was acting much worse last night before the battery was switched and had no change after the battery was switched. He wants me to call him a 2pm to see when he can get me in to have another look at the car.
I'm so irritated! I explained to him 2 weeks ago we were leaving for the weekend to drive up north (2.5 hours) for our family vacation weekend. I do not want this car dying on the way up there or while we are there. He said, "Oh, I wouldn't worry. This car shouldn't die on ya." I wanted to say, so if it should, you'll have your guys come up there and tow it for free?!
How many times are they going to change the fuel pump before they get it thru their skulls that the fuel pump is the secondary issue and there is another issue that's causing the fuel pump to keep malfunctioning?
Where should I go from here? I feel like I'm just being dicked around at this point.

Any advice?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 PM

After bringing her my car in this afternoon they are saying it has nothing to do with my fuel pump, that it is my idle air control. Thoughts on this?

Old 07-17-2013, 09:46 PM

Maybe clogged fuel rail/injectors??? Might be worth the look.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM

New thing I noticed tonight. If we turn the car to ON and let the all the dash lights come on, the odometer is one if the last things to illuminate. If I wait until the odometer is illuminated then crank it over, it fires up with no sputter and runs clean and smooth.

I cleaned the air idle valve with electronic cleaner. The thing was as clean as whistle but cleaned it anyways since I had it off. No improvement.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mama2Saigai
New thing I noticed tonight. If we turn the car to ON and let the all the dash lights come on, the odometer is one if the last things to illuminate. If I wait until the odometer is illuminated then crank it over, it fires up with no sputter and runs clean and smooth.

I cleaned the air idle valve with electronic cleaner. The thing was as clean as whistle but cleaned it anyways since I had it off. No improvement.

Strike the red part. That was just a fluke. Another day of it not starting right away. We called a local mechanic that we know and they gave us intructions to slightly press the gas pedal upon start to see if it starts right away with that method. If so, then it is my idle air control. If not, it's probably a cheapo fuel pump that the dealership installed.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM

This is the fuel pump that they used.

E7194M
Airtex Fuel Pump Module Assembly

Old 07-23-2013, 11:19 AM

I feel like I'm having a conversation with myself on this thread! Oh well, I'm keeping it updated in hopes it might help someone in the future.

So we set out to take our road trip on Friday. The main reason I was trying so hard to find out the issue because I didn't want to be stranded up in the boondocks. We filled up our tank and jumped into the car to set out on our few hour drive and.....our car wouldn't start. At all. Dead at the gas pump. We banged on our fuel tank to see if we could kick start the fuel pump but nada.

I made a call to the dealership and told them my fuel pump had stopped working and demanded they not only pick up my car but give me a loaner so we could continue on to my son's birthday vacation. They were skeptical that it was fuel pump but once they got it in the shop and dropped my tank, there was my fuel pump, in multiple pieces. I was told my fuel pump was in the same condition the previous time too. They asked if we go over speed bumps a lot; which I replied, "No." we do not have any speed bumps where we live nor any of our jobs. We were at the dealership for a few hours while waiting for the new fuel pump to arrive and wait for it to install.

Supposedly they replaced it with a different fuel pump...but when asked they said yes, it's an Airtex. Little do they know, my invoice for my previous failed fuel pump was also an Airtex. So I guess we'll just see how this plays out.

In other news, the wiring for the A/C condenser started burning while in the middle of our vacation, so now my A/C is shot.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

it must be an aftermarket dealer not an actual dealer because whey would not use anything but OEM parts

Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 PM

No, not a Chrysler dealership. Just a general used car's dealership's service department.

Obviously there's something else going on to make these fuel pumps fail and break into pieces. I just can't figure out what. I know the Airtex line is cheapy-cheap but I would expect if a company like Airtex wanted to stay in business their parts would last longer than 1.5 months.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Could be how they install or the parts that's then again something to deal with who put it in