Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Girlfriend's 04 needs timing belt- few quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Default Girlfriend's 04 needs timing belt- few quick questions

First off, I'd like to thank anyone that helps out in advance. I rely on forums like this all the time and they never disappoint.

Alright, my girlfriend has an 04 Pacifica and it has 115k miles on it. She has never done the timing belt (has had the vehicle since 45k), so I'm going to have to take matters into my own hands and do this for her before she ruins this engine. I searched for any write-ups, but didn't have much luck, so I may just pay the $27 for AllData access. Any tips or advice? Can I just rent a 3 jaw puller for the crank pulley or do I have to have the special Chrysler one?

Where should I buy the components? I have found Contitech/CRP kits on Ebay for about $200 (belt, pulley, tensioner & water pump). I have priced things at Advance Auto and it'll run more money for Dayco brand (which I'm unfamiliar with). I know Gates is probably the best belt and found a kit on Ebay for $140, but it doesn't include the tensioner. I'd have to spend the $90 at Advance for the Dayco one. The tensioner is the part that concerns me. I just know that if that doesn't do its job, then the engine is toast. I don't really feel comfortable enough reusing the factory one though - it's had enough miles & life so far. What is everyone's opinion on this??

Also, the water pump on an 04 is the small one right? (best way I can describe it). It appears to have 6 bolts, while newer 3.5L pumps have like 11 and are more elongated in shape? I just want to make sure I'm ordering the correct parts.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM

Hate being one of "those guys", but if you search on "timing belt", you'll find most of what you're after. I just spent the last 45 minutes or so looking through the threads on timing belt issues, because I'm probably going to have this work done soon.

In answer to one of your questions, I'd probably opt to go through Rock Auto for the timing belt/water pump/tensioner kit. I believe their's is a Gates unit, and the price is good. Most forums have a 5% discount with them -- not a lot, but hey, something is better than nothing, right?

Good luck with your repair!