Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

GPS NAV 2005 - Cannot Read Disk, again

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Default GPS NAV 2005 - Cannot Read Disk, again

I have a 2005 Pacifica.The GPS worked great the first 2 years, but then received the following message on the display: "Error Reading DVD-ROM. Please check the disc....". Contacted the dealership service dept, they said to buy the updated disk; I did and it worked fine.

Ironically, yet again, on the anniversary, I received the message a 2nd time. I do not want keep buying a new disk each year and paying $199+tax. I have several GPS DVD-ROM disks, they cannot all be bad.

Is there a system setting for a GPS DVD to expire (that can be changed)?
Doesthe GPS DVD reader need to replaced? Or does it need a simple cleaning? Is so, how?

Old 12-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Default RE: GPS NAV 2005 - Cannot Read Disk, again

Try using the excellent freeware Image Burnto verify the disk and burn a new one if it is not copy protected. It could get unreadable in a harsh enviroment, like a car, or the media disc is just cheap and the plastic is degrading, making it unredable.
[*]Read - Read a disc to an image file[*]Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc[*]Write - Write an image file to a disc[*]Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct

Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 PM

could be that the radio needs to be flashed too. reprogrammed.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:28 PM

I doubt it needs flashing, it was reading the disc. I guess it could, but that is usually to recognize new disc Mfg. codes, not for existing discs.

My first guess is disc errors (for whatever reason..degadation of media, a micro-scratch at the beginning of the track, Ketchup, etc..)and the factory DVD reader just isn't capable of reading it.

If you are noticing longer seek times when you put in other discs, your player may be on it's way out, and just can't read lower quality discs anymore.

First, clean your disc, and burn a copy.
If you are having problems reading it on your home coputer, then you may be out of luck but all is not lost.
A Pioneer DVR-115/215 series DVD Burner is very fault-tolerant and can read discs that others burners can't.
Samsung SH-S203 series and Optiarc AD-72xx series are also top burners, they are like $25-$30 online.

If you can create a DVD image, or the original disc can still be read on a home computer, then you can also create an error-correcting file in case it get corrupted later. I use ICE ECC.Itwill do a full analysis of the file or disc and let you know if it has been corrupted, in that case ICE ECC will automatically recover it for you. PAR2 &QuickPar are similar programs.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hey red what are u talking about? the DVD GPS does not read anything but the DVD media for the GPS only. U cant burn movies or music and play it on this sytem U must be talking about the dvd up front where it plays through the video screen this poster is talking about the GPS only.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM

Sorry, didn't know it has a dedicated DVD reader, but they still operate on the the same principle.

If thedisc is damaged in critical lead-in/lead-out sectors, then the data cannot be loaded.Just check the disc for errors first.

If the diode in the player is weak or out of alignment, then the reader may have problems reading lower quality media, whereas a higher quality disc may work in the same unit is what i was getting at.