Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Instrument Cluster Dark & Remote Lock Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Default Instrument Cluster Dark & Remote Lock Failure

I have a 2005 3.8L Pacifica bought new in July '05 (out of warranty) with only 27k miles. I've had a remote lock and instrument cluster failure twice now a few months apart. They way I notice it is when I go to remote lock my vehicle I don't get the horn and light confirmation. I get back in the vehicle and power it on and the instrument cluster is dark, no illumination or display. The vehicle still starts (luckily) and everything else seems to work fine. After it sits for awhile, the instrument cluster comes back on and everything appears to work fine again. The last time this happened the check engine light illuminated so I finally got some fault codes to troubleshoot this problem. I did the 'on acc on acc on' trick to get the fault codes to pop up on the odometer. I got two fault codes u110c (No Fuel Level Bus Message) and u0140 (Lost Communication With Body Control Module). Has anyone else experienced this glitch? Anyone know the possible cause, solution? Since my vehicle is out of warranty, I don't want to waste an expensive service fee to troubleshoot this intermittent problem. I can't seem to find a TSB or Recall that specifically addresses this problem. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Default RE: Instrument Cluster Dark & Remote Lock Failure

Both of the codes reported indicate that there has been a loss of communication with the BCM. It could be as simple as a loose or broken wire or plug connection. Especially if someone has added any aftermarket accessories. You might want to do some underdash spelunking to see if you can spot anything obvious. I don't the the BCM has completely failed because it doesn't happen every time.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:19 PM

i'd shoot for the bcm i have replaced a few for similar issues, and yes they are intermittent

Old 11-24-2008, 11:42 PM

First thing I would check would be the battery. Voltage spikes can cause all sorts of wierd things to happen. On newer vehicle 07 and up a low battery can set a ton of codes last one i reset had about 15 all for lost communication with ... module. I did a quick search and didn't find any recall for those codes or tsbs. doesn't mean there isn't a flash or reprogramming for the bcm or other module for this problem.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:56 AM

2005 Pacifica with 3.8L, exactly the same scenario, except that dash lights (not instruments, but clock, radio buttons, etc.) stayed lit. Instrument cluster was dark, my remote would not open the door, wife's would. Car did start, I think after we unlocked with her remote the instrument panel was normal but we do have the CEL (little engine symbol) and the two codes.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 PM

I had the same issue 6 months ago. Noticed it when I stopped the car and the locks would not work and not instrument lights. Checked the fuses and many seemed slightly loose and a little dislodged. Not sure if it was a from the 30k+ miles and bumps but reseated all and the problem went away and has not reoccurred. Had an engine light warning on the dash but went away on it's own after about a week. Give it a try.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:14 PM

Just an update - the CEL went out probably within a day or two and has not recurred, so I won't worry about it until it does.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by jtg61
I have a 2005 3.8L Pacifica bought new in July '05 (out of warranty) with only 27k miles. I've had a remote lock and instrument cluster failure twice now a few months apart. They way I notice it is when I go to remote lock my vehicle I don't get the horn and light confirmation. I get back in the vehicle and power it on and the instrument cluster is dark, no illumination or display. The vehicle still starts (luckily) and everything else seems to work fine. After it sits for awhile, the instrument cluster comes back on and everything appears to work fine again. The last time this happened the check engine light illuminated so I finally got some fault codes to troubleshoot this problem. I did the 'on acc on acc on' trick to get the fault codes to pop up on the odometer. I got two fault codes u110c (No Fuel Level Bus Message) and u0140 (Lost Communication With Body Control Module). Has anyone else experienced this glitch? Anyone know the possible cause, solution? Since my vehicle is out of warranty, I don't want to waste an expensive service fee to troubleshoot this intermittent problem. I can't seem to find a TSB or Recall that specifically addresses this problem. Thanks for any help.

Hello,
I was just wondering if you have found a confirmed fix for this issue? I also own the 2005 chrysler pacifica and this same issue and same codes have occured with me. I've taken in it to where I bought the car from and they haven't been able to locate the issue. I did purchase the extended warranty so I'm going to take it to chyrsler but I would like to know a little more about it. Thanks

Old 06-08-2012, 01:10 PM

My wife just called and told me her 05 Pacifica dash just died, no lights, no gauges seem to operate, no steering wheel buttons work, no wipers and the alarm wont set. Remote door lock still works and car still runs.

Now, she just said she stopped for gas and the dash started to work again with a check engine light that is now on. Anyone figure this little issue out?

Old 06-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by brian3
I had the same issue 6 months ago. Noticed it when I stopped the car and the locks would not work and not instrument lights. Checked the fuses and many seemed slightly loose and a little dislodged. Not sure if it was a from the 30k+ miles and bumps but reseated all and the problem went away and has not reoccurred. Had an engine light warning on the dash but went away on it's own after about a week. Give it a try.

My wife just got back and I had a chance to look at the car. Everything worked fine after she got gas and restarted the car. I unplugged the battery to turn off the engine check light. I checked all the wiring around the control module under the dash and also checked all the fuses and relays under the hood. There seemed to be quite a few that were loose and dislodged a bit also. The ignition switch seems to be pretty loose also, there is a lot of slop in it. I am wondering if maybe this could be the problem?

Brian did you ever have the problem come back at all? We have 90,000 on the odometer BTW.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Dark & Remote Lock Failure