Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Interior water leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:16 AM
Default Interior water leak

'04 Pac water leaks inside on passenger side from under the dash. Complete AC replacement a few years ago. Its NOT from the AC, it hasn't been run in over a week. Sitting in the rain today it showed up again. Its at the firewall to the right side of the AC filter where the housing fits up to the firewall. Sunroof drains seem clear and there isn't access to the other side of the firewall. We had the wipers removed along with the cowl vent cover. Could see a plastic well on each side with a small drain hole but no access to where the water runs off and down the windshield that may be the cause of the leaking. How hard is it to remove this plastic well to see if something on the firewall needs resealed ? Any pics ? Thank you. *BW*

Old 11-30-2018, 09:46 AM

I share you pain in regard to the water leak issue on this otherwise very fine vehicle. A few years ago I had the passenger side getting wet, my fix was to obtain a "rubber ell" from the Chrysler dealership, slipped right on the AC water drain, totally fixed my problem. I wish you had the ell PN or Tech Bulletin # involving the ell, but I do not.

Alternately there is this thread worth looking at: https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...or-1897/page2/

Lastly there is the TSB attached that came out a few years ago, again dealing with sealing the AC drain tube. Said drain tube can be "felt" but not seen very well at all without removing the engine air cleaner box.

Your root cause may be something else, others please pitch in to help...

Attached Files

Last edited by djetelina; 11-30-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:12 AM

Thanks Djetelina for the reply but it isn't a ac drain problem. I forgot to mention that under the hood on the pass. side firewall down low the "round box" with the flap on it does drain water out but other than the small holes at the bottom of the "well" how does the rain water get down to it. How can we remove the plastic well assy. to get inside deeper and look for a body seal leak ? Thank you. *BW*

Old 11-30-2018, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the thread. >>>"Hey guys i had luck with the tsb where you peel off the old sealer at the "A" pillar base.sems water is getting in the weld on both sides.i had taken the entire dash out of the pacifica and has hose running on windshield while i sat inside i actuall saw it enter the car .it took me 3 times before i finally got it right.water leaks suck!! moe "<<< Anybody know about the tsb mentioned and how you can get to it to reseal it ? The three items as links may be too old now to see. Thank you. *BW*

Old 12-13-2018, 11:09 PM

Interior Leak Part II Please disregard this part of the original post. >>"We had the wipers removed along with the cowl vent cover. Could see a plastic well on each side with a small drain hole but no access to where the water runs off and down the windshield that may be the cause of the leaking. How hard is it to remove this plastic well to see if something on the firewall needs resealed ?"<< Our fault as there is NO plastic well under the cowl grill. There is a very small drain hole on the drivers side with a drain tube near the firewall. As water builds up it can go down nearer the passenger side and exit down near the firewall. Parked overnight and our leak test in the pic attached failed in the rain. Had a visit at a large Chrysler dealer and went directly to the body shop looking for answers. Best answer was to go to the service department. Maybe later. Getting different answers as to how the evaporator lines to the dryer are sealed going thru the firewall since it had been replaced. We had caulking put around that area inside. Thanks to bilitheaxe for the tip. What I did see this morning was that the rain water seemed to exit from the sliding cover for the cabin air filter housing. Don't understand how it got into there to drain out. Any suggestions ? Perhaps someone else has seen this problem. Thanks. *BW*

Old 12-21-2018, 11:28 PM
Default Leak Part III

Leak Test : pic of a water test. Waited for rain, it didn't come so we made our own but first made sure the sunroof drains worked, put rubber lube to help seal it. Put foam caulking in the roof channels then Exterior painters tape as shown. Idea was to make sure rain could not get under any molding or around or under the windshield or under the cowl vent but direct it toward the drain holes in the cowl. Yes, the very small drain underneath the cowl on the drivers side was clear too as well as the drain in front of the firewall with the flap open at the bottom. BUT still a little water came out inside under the dash just to the left of the sunroof and evap drains where the AC housing is attached to the inside of the firewall. But how does is get down there to leak out inside ? Someone must have looked into this problem before. A new thought is when the cowl vent cover is removed its easy to see the 2" drain down to the flap covered outlet. With a flashlight a higher air inlet toward the pass. side for the inside cabin air can be seen but NO way to easily look at the other side of it since it is under a part of the non removable firewall to see if water can get down around there. Your thoughts please. Barbara 2

Old 12-22-2018, 10:15 PM

Something like this could help you see down into there.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 PM

Thanks Bili, we bought something like this but its only for a android. Still have a couple of schemes to try out. Need to track the water once its down inside and under the cowl vent cover. Where the down drain is to the flap covered outlet is easy to see but only from one side. A structural plate covers the top of the cowl near the passenger side. Have thought of using a 2" hole saw to be able to get a "port hole" viewing hole to be able to look down in where the fresh air goes down to the inside of the car. Am thinking that is how water gets into the ac/heater housing near the cabin filter. This is turning into a obsession to find the leak if you know what I mean. May soon call some wrecking yards to see if they have a Pac body to look at. Talked to a EX-car repair shop owner that said there is a round seal around the ac lines that go thru the firewall but if its a problem it shouldn't let rain water in. Hmmm ! Sorry to make this such a long thread but am not getting solutions we had hoped for. ANY type of help is welcome. B2

Old 12-23-2018, 05:27 PM

Another idea for tracing the leak is to get some of the dye used in radiators to locate leaks in the cooling system.
Put some in places where you believe the leak may be coming through at, then after drenching the car, break out the black light and use it inside the car to try to trace it back to where the water is coming in at.

This one works for android, and IOS
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-24-2018, 11:35 PM

Thanks again Bili, we did some more leak testing today. With the cowl cover off a close look at the drivers side small drain tube is in the pic. Has a very small tube hole. Once removed it left a 3/4" hole. Made a diverter out of thin alum. flashing and placed under the wiper motor since the windshield water mainly is directed down around both wiper shafts on top of the cowl cover and to try to send it out of the "new" larger hole rather than going over to the other side and down the opening. Cover back on and did the spray test as in a previous pic. 15-20 minutes later looked under the dash, YAY ! still dry but 10 minutes later still leaked same as before. Oh well. Maybe tomorrow will be another test with water running only on the extreme pass. side where the cowl is partly covered by metal. Could be a leak in the body seam sealant over nearer the pass fender side. Couple of other things to try yet. Thanks for hanging in. Holidays will be better if this leak gets fixed ! B2

Quick Reply: Interior water leak