Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

loss of power steering and brakes!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 PM
Default loss of power steering and brakes!

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and I am a happy owner of a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica 4L Touring with 90k miles on the clock. The car is mostly being used by my wife.

The car had been very reliable until power steering and brakes shut off! It happened twice already while driving a right turn. Fortunately my wife could stop the car without an accident. Steering and brake responded extremely hard she said. This state of malfunctioning steering and brakes remained until she shut off the engine. Steering and brakes were back to normal again after restarting the engine.

Now, how come steering and brakes fail the same time??? Is there a connection between those components on a Chrysler Pacifica?
Have you ever heard of an issue like this? Do you know what part causes a failure of power steering and power brakes?

Hope to find some answers after they could not help us at the mechanic shop.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

are u sure the engine did not stall? The power steering is run by a pump only when engine is running the brakes don't require the engine to be running to work that are all hydrological control systems the brake booster helps with brakes with engine vac but only helps they will work with out it.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Thanks for your message. Engine was running according to my wife. She had accelerated the car slowly again after steering and brakes failed. She restarted the engine afterwards.
All very strange...

By doing some more Google search I found that this happened to some other brands like GM, Chevy etc. They are saying that their hydro booster failed and that power steering and brakes are dependent on this unit.

Does a Chrysler Pacifica 4L Touring has a hydro booster or vacuum boost power brake system?

It could also be an electrical issue?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

yes most cars have a vac boost system for helping which is vac from a running engine.