Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

New member and new owner of a 2005 Pacifica AWD

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 09:13 PM
Default New member and new owner of a 2005 Pacifica AWD

Hello,

I am a new member here from near Carlisle, PA. I am a new owner of a good condition 2005 Pacifica AWD with 132,000 miles pretty cheaply that was sent to the junk yard because it failed inspection because it needed an exhaust system. A connection told me about it so I went to look at it before they started taking it apart, and I got it and drove it home. The paint is excellent, except for some very minor hail dents on the hood and roof, and a couple minor scratches and a bubble of rust on the front edge of the hood. Both mufflers were rusted out and the resonator had a gash in it. I've replaced all of that, and now I just have to get it inspected. I have experience with another Chrysler product that was problem prone, a 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE. I did the engine swap from blown 2.7 to 3.2 on that and it's now at 268,000 miles and still going. I know about the front sub-frame rust issue with these Pacifica's, and this one appears to have been coated in some thick sticky goo, and it looks solid with no rust visible. Is this some garage sealing it up, or a recall repair? I can see the original metal shape also, with no repairs done to it. My question is a couple times now I've slid under it to work on it, after a rain, and when I pulled it up on my ramps and climbed under it a bunch of clear water runs down from somewhere above and down all over the sub-frame. I have no idea where this water is coming from, but it's obviously sitting somewhere above. I've seen people talk about the rubber strip at the bottom of the windshield needing replaced because of water leaking inside. There is no water leaking inside, but the rubber strip looks pretty rough, it doesn't even contact the windshield, so I plan on replacing that regardless. Where could this water be coming from?

Thanks,
Steve in PA

Old 10-08-2019, 11:23 PM
Default Water in the doors.

[QUOTE=sorner;112053]Hello,

I am a new member here from near Carlisle, PA. I am a new owner of a good condition 2005 Pacifica AWD with 132,000 miles pretty cheaply that was sent to the junk yard because it failed inspection because it needed an exhaust system. A connection told me about it so I went to look at it before they started taking it apart, and I got it and drove it home. The paint is excellent, except for some very minor hail dents on the hood and roof, and a couple minor scratches and a bubble of rust on the front edge of the hood. Both mufflers were rusted out and the resonator had a gash in it. I've replaced all of that, and now I just have to get it inspected. I have experience with another Chrysler product that was problem prone, a 2001 Dodge Intrepid SE. I did the engine swap from blown 2.7 to 3.2 on that and it's now at 268,000 miles and still going. I know about the front sub-frame rust issue with these Pacifica's, and this one appears to have been coated in some thick sticky goo, and it looks solid with no rust visible. Is this some garage sealing it up, or a recall repair? I can see the original metal shape also, with no repairs done to it. My question is a couple times now I've slid under it to work on it, after a rain, and when I pulled it up on my ramps and climbed under it a bunch of clear water runs down from somewhere above and down all over the sub-frame. I have no idea where this water is coming from, but it's obviously sitting somewhere above. I've seen people talk about the rubber strip at the bottom of the windshield needing replaced because of water leaking inside. There is no water leaking inside, but the rubber strip looks pretty rough, it doesn't even contact the windshield, so I plan on replacing that regardless. Where could this water be coming from?

Thanks,
Steve in PA[/QUOTE

The doors seem to hold water when it rains, sometimes the drain holes on the bottom of the doors are taped.