Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Oil Drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Default Oil Drain Plug

I have an '04 Pacifica that I recently found out (after deciding to start changing my own oil) had a universal oil drain plug (Dorman) on it. I'm assuming the dealer (only ones that had changed the oil for me) stripped it and figured this was a cheap save for them. Not feeling real good about the Dorman, I had my local mechanic install an oversized oil drain plug. This worked well until the other day when I changed the oil and reinstalled the plug. It had a slow leak...and I hate leaks. The mechanic suggested instead of using the hard plastic gasket he had installed that I get an aluminum one from the local parts store. I did - making sure to get the right size - and it still leaks. The bolt is tight - it's not like it is stripped at all. It's just that the gaskets aren't working. So...

1) Has anyone had similar issues? Can you share what worked for you?

2) I finally broke down and bought another Dorman and put it on. It's not leaking, but it just doesn't feel like a safe, durable option on a car that is driven long distances. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness and durability of Dormans? How long do they last before you have to buy another one?

3) My mechanic said he could oversize it one more time, but since the problem isn't the bolt (it's very tight - no slipping) I don't see what good this would do.

4) I've heard of something called a helio coil or something like that. Sounds like it would fill the thread gaps, acting like a gasket. The mechanic didn't recommend it as a good long term solution. Anyone have experiences there?

5) I priced a new oil pan (and thus plug) at the dealer. $500 for an oil pan (HA!), $25 for an oil pan gasket, and $250 for labor. I refuse to do this. There has to be another way to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:38 PM

I would try a soft copper washer. Get one from a Volvo dealer. I never heard of a helicoil for drain pans, usually only for spark plugs.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Sorry for the bad news, but you will be buying an oil pan.....

There is no permanent solution for damaged threads on an aluminum pan. Further Modification, or excessive force may likely crack the pan, leaving you with "NO" alternatives.

Of course there are always salvage channels and aftermarket parts you could look at if pricing is unacceptable.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:03 AM

In the old days we would use a leather washer.

Or, you could try teflon tape (tape dope) that would have to be re-done at each oil change.

Or, try "pipe dope" that I use in plumbing applications.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM

A Helicoil is used to replace a damaged thread in a hole. I don't think a helicoil would be a good choice for the drain hole. Go with one of the other suggestion. Good Luck.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:26 AM

yip...like Tonic stated, there is no real permanent fix for stripped threads on the aluminum pans.
helicoils would not work well on the pan. The only alternative I've been able to use to get a couple more years of life out of an aluminum pan after oversize-drilling and retapping threads, is to reinstall the plug after each oil change with some RTV/silicone sealant on the faces of the washer-gasket and avoid overtightening.