Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

oil light on ond off question

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Default oil light on ond off question

ok let me run this by you. 05 3.5 auto pacifica we just got this car about a week ago and with any used car there are going to be issues.

so this is the next one. my girl said when she starts the engine the oil light comes on. that in itself would be an issue, the oil is up, but she said if she turns off the engine and then restarts the engine the oil light comes on then off, kinda like a normal car. so can anyone tell me if this is a sender or will i be digging into this a bit deeper? thanks bp.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 AM

I don’t know if this helps as I’m not familiar with the Pacifica.If the dash oil pressure warning light works like my two Sebrings, it may be oil getting into the pressure switch connector and creating a false ground that lights the dash light.The switch itself, or another point on the engine, could be the leaking oil source.
I would get a new switch and clean the connector and contacts real good.
You (or your local mechanic) can also connect a test pressure gauge where the switch screws in to read the actual pressure.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:17 PM

thanks flaokie. i have a switch ordered now and i believe i will install a tee and a fitting for a pressure gage for a bit to see if i have pressure and how much. i'm now trying to find out if this car has a live oil pressure that the ecu reads and the static switch that the cluster shows? if it has the live pressure then i may be able to read it with torque pro or even my pro harbor freight scanner. if anyone has that answer feel free to let us know thanks bp.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 PM

does this car happen to have a sensor that tell oil level? if so that may be the issue. i found it was a quart down on oil and that my have set off the oil lite. just wondering. thanks

Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 PM

Since you are unfamiliar with the Pacifica, you might want to get yourself an owners manual.
That will tell you all about the car and all it’s options, and how they work.
You can usually find one online for free or very little cost.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by flaokie
Since you are unfamiliar with the Pacifica, you might want to get yourself an owners manual.
That will tell you all about the car and all it’s options, and how they work.
You can usually find one online for free or very little cost.
Agreed. Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around. Plus, the things in the manual is good knowledge anyway.

Old 11-28-2017, 06:37 AM

have one and also one form the internet and nowhere in the book does it tell me if there is a oil level sensor. just like most will not tell you the engines have oil pressure sensors when they don't in fact have any oil pressure gages in the cluster.

Old 11-28-2017, 12:50 PM

Maybe some of these new cars are different, but as far as I know, neither oil pressure or oil level are required inputs to the engine management computers.
The only purpose they could serve would be some kind of display, warning, or indication for the driver.
Why would a manufacturer put in an oil pressure transducer that serves no purpose, and costs a few dollars, when they are routinely trying to cut corners to save pennies?
If you have the factory service manual, the wiring diagrams will show all the standard and optional components, such as engine switches and transducers.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:25 AM

thank for that but i have 2 cars that have oil pressure gages in the cluster form the factory and an idiot light in the cluster. so on some they want to know something. a click switch would only serve to tell you the pressure is low and on one car that signal shuts off the engine. but this does not on the pacifica. so the lite on the cluster only serves to warn you.

so at this point i believe the switch to be bad. i took it to the dealer i got it from and ther mechanic told me the car has 2 senders one for the gage and one for the ecu. now that may or not be true and they may have been trying to blow smoke up my ***. that is why i asked that question here to see if anyone else know. but thanks for that answer.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 PM

ok update on the oil sender question i have the engine down for timing belt change and i have a new sender so tomorrow it goes in. they did not make this job an easy job now did they. you almost have to remove the engine to get at the sender. i have the power steering pump loose and the idler pulley out and still can just about see the sensor. it looks like i may have to take the oil filter off as well. just to get at the connector lock. so i can remove the connector. not much on youtube on this procedure. thanks.

Quick Reply: oil light on ond off question