Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

P0420, '05 pac

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Default P0420, '05 pac

Hi All,

I've read through a bunch of the threads here on a P0420 ODBII code on the Pacifica. I've had one the day after I bought it from a dealer (non-Chrysler) in Michigan with 96K miles on it (ie, out of federal emissions warranty). It's got 108K on it, and runs like a charm. It has a California emissions system. I've been driving it like this since I got the code in January 2009 (the dealer refused to fix it, though they offered to "split" the costs of the repair 40/60 -- me paying the 60, and quoted me $1,200 total for the job; I didn't bite).

I've since moved to NY, where you don't pass inspection if you have a check engine light on (Michigan has no state auto inspection requirement, FYI). Before returning, I took the car to my local garage, which had seen it a bunch of time for maintenance and had quoted me $600 to fix it, but had suggested against it (as it wasn't affecting performance in any noticeable way). When I learned I was coming back to NY, I asked them to do the replacement, but they told me the catalytic converter was on national backorder, and they had no idea when/if they could actually get one before I moved (this was 60 days before I moved).

I checked online and found after-market converters, and found some reasonably priced (my brother is a former mechanic and can install it for me). He checked around, and found out that sometimes the after-market converters won't register a good reading on a car with a California emissions system like mine has.

Does anyone have experience with after-market converters on California emissions system pacs? What about any of the other fixes I've heard or read about; are they worth trying (switching the O2 sensors out, updating onboard car software, etc. etc.)?

I've got to get this car inspected within the next 30 days or so, so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob

Old 01-25-2011, 11:57 AM

Hey Rob, did you end up finding anything out with the p0420 code? I have an 05 Pacifica with 145k and have the same code and I also live in California. The California cat seems to be hard to find. I was hoping to be able to switch the o2 to find out if it will go away.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM

It isnt necessarily California Cars and Aftermarket parts.....Its all of them. Thats why the aftermarkets are so cheap....They are useless.

Swapping O2 sensors has about a 10 percent chance of fixing your issue. There is one in front of the cat, and one behind....The sensors measure what goes in, as opposed to what comes out, and calculates an "Efficiency " Rating. Anything Below 96 percent efficient Fails and sets a 420 (Or 430, dependant on which Bank Converter failure was noted).....Simple enough????

Problem is this......For an 02 to read that drastically incorrect as to set a 420...It would have long since set a code of its own.... Im not saying it is impossible.....But 100 dollars down the tubes , just to spend another 1600-1800 on a converter, is Painful to say the least.

(the dealer refused to fix it, though they offered to "split" the costs of the repair 40/60 -- me paying the 60, and quoted me $1,200 total for the job; I didn't bite).
Whats to BITE at......????? Frankly, you should have taken the deal when you had the chance.....After 80k..They are REQUIRED to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOU.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Had the same code on my 05. I had a mechanic friend check it out and he said the o2 sensors were fine and to only replace the cat with an OEM one as it would not be worth the money for an aftermarket one only to have the code come back and have to buy the oem anyway. Picked up the OEM cat ($600)from one of the few dealers that had one and have not had any problems since (+1 year).

Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by jatsie
Hey Rob, did you end up finding anything out with the p0420 code? I have an 05 Pacifica with 145k and have the same code and I also live in California. The California cat seems to be hard to find. I was hoping to be able to switch the o2 to find out if it will go away.
I posted the question a couple of places, never got a response, checked with another repair service, and got the same response. I had to have it done to get inspected, so that's what I did, and the whole thing cost around $1,200. Has run great since, though, and gotten me and the family through whatever the weather has decided to throw at us this winter. We still love the car.

Originally Posted by Djinn-n-Tonic
Whats to BITE at......????? Frankly, you should have taken the deal when you had the chance.....After 80k..They are REQUIRED to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR YOU.
Because they're required to do nothing they should do nothing? The "check engine" light came on the day after I got the car home. The day after. Could they have reset the check engine light so that it was off when I drove it and again when I picked it up? Sure they could have. Even if they didn't, do you think it's okay for a used car dealer (who is also a new car dealer) to ignore serious problems with a car that come up the day after the car is picked up? I don't, and there was no way I was giving this scheister any more of my money. As I understand it, there was recently a change in ownership at the dealer, and these guys have now been "found out" to have done quite a bit of questionable stuff in their day, so at least I wasn't the only one (or the worst, from what I hear).

Old 11-15-2011, 01:20 AM

een this is use aftermarket convertors all the time have not had any problems/ i'ved worked on cars for over 35yrs/ i only use dealer parts when there the only ones with it/ have a good day/ but what caused those cats to go bad? only time i've seen a cat go bad is there was other problems that caused a rich burn condition/ thanks

Old 01-07-2012, 08:02 PM

Where do you find an OEM cat conv for 2004 Chrysler Pacifica? Would I have to get it from the dealer? I have searched on the web, and can only find aftermarket for this car.... and is after market really that bad? I use after market for everything else, but this car has California emissions, and if I do end up needing a new cat, I don't want to buy too expensive of one if I don't necessarily need to.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:49 AM

Chry dealers use Walker Cat converters when they need to replace them. They want $600+. You can go on line and get a Walker direct fit converter (exact same part the dealer would give you) delivered to your house for $120. PartsGeek.com

Old 02-23-2012, 04:37 PM

Great! Thanks for the info. I think we are going to have to replace ours...