Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Royalman
Jimmy154, sounds to me if the measurements you give are correct, the problem that you have is you have lost the ground at G-104 to complete the circuit. I would suggest opening the wireloom, trace those 2 black/green wires to their grounding point which is the forward grounding point forward and under the battery box, re-splice, clean, or
whatever to make sure they are grounded. This suv is noted for this problem of losing grounds, and techs just changing parts to try and fix those problems and cannot get them repaired.
The black/green and brown/green wires at the radiator fan connectors have 12 VDC with respect to the battery.
Not sure which one is G-104.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:00 AM

I don't know how to add it but there is a service manual here somewhere for the pacifica, on pages 8W-15-5 and 8W-91-16 the drawings and schematic shows G-104 also splices S-107 and possibly S-120. Those drawings could probably clarify a lot for you.

Old 07-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Old 07-05-2015, 11:47 AM

Thanks, I needed that.
Although me and my BMW e34 manual never really gelled, when I bought a car that came with a manual one time.

I would have never found the hidden automatic immobilization relay without the help of some one on a BMW forum eventually.
Before that I wasted my time cleaning an ignition switch even though I knew with the measurements I made that the switch wasn't it.

The problem with mechanics I've noticed is they are terrible electricians for the most part and electricians are less terrible and then there's me and then there's who whole list of professions that are better than me.
Saab guys are very good with electronics/electromagnetic concepts for the most part.
If I didn't have Saab forums for that car, I could drive it into a wall.

Anyhoodle, any one know if there is a electrical switch somewhere in the car for rad fans to turn on?

Old 07-25-2015, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the manual.

Kind of confused me more.
Because the wiring is simple and pretty much how I thought it was.
Short pins 1 and 2 on rad fan relay and fans should come on.
No clue why they don't.
Relay pins 1 and 2 measure 12 volts

rad fan connectors pins all have 12 volts going through them when tested with respect to the battery, so wiring to fans is obviously good.
fuse box has 12 volts going through fuse #13

What am I missing here?
I'm going to short pins 1 and 2 of rad fan relay and actually measure the voltage at the rad fan connectors. Although, that's kind of a long shot. Not sure why the rad fan connections to the fans would be so compromised.
Any other ideas?

Old 07-25-2015, 01:02 PM

The ground is good on my fans.
When connecting to battery and using fan connector grounds the fans both turn on.
The rad fan connector has 12 volts when pins 1 and 2 are shorted on the fan relay connector.
They are just not supplying the rad fans with enough current.
Actually they don't even power a small 12VDC computer fan I hooked up to the rad fan connector.
I don't know why the pin1 on relay connector (or OR/RD wire) is supplying such low amperage.
I think I saw a really corroded "red" wire on a connector (that just had that one wire) at the bottom of the fuse/relay box when I was cleaning/checking the connections underneath.
I might check that in the future.

Attached Thumbnails P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction-rad-fan-wiring.jpg  
Old 07-25-2015, 05:53 PM

Okay, got it fixed.

I did noticed yesterday when cleaning the fuse box connectors, one connector was really corroded and it was the orange/red wire that goes to pin1 of the rad fan relay.
I didn't think much of it at the time, just sprayed a little electric cleaner on it and bulb grease on the connections and put it back together.
Then it occurred to me today, after looking at the schematic, that it was an orange/red wire that goes to the pin1 fan relay connection.
It was totally oxidized like I have never seen before, when I took it apart today.
I couldn't even reuse the old metal pin connector is was so corroded.

Now I need to find control arm bolts and decent control arms.
Any one know where I can find the bolts, other than Chrysler dealer?
I found some TRW's control arms that might be okay?
I have to do this again because I found some on ebay but the bushing metal cylinder width was too small, so they still clunk.
Probably bushing metal cylinder diameter was too large also.
Amazing what garbage you can get away with selling on ebay, especially auto parts.

Last edited by jimmy154; 07-25-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:01 AM

Maybe this was connector "C105" or C-105" previously mentioned as being behind the headlight, which it is.
But it's more accurately under the fusebox and attached to it.
It goes to pin1 of the radiator fan relay.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:43 PM
Spy
Default P0480 code

Originally Posted by kingkohlmn
2005 Pacifica, 123,xxx miles. Error code P0480, Cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction. Now that I know what the code means, what do I do next. I have already done a search and it only turns up what the code is. Looking for advice on how to correct the error code. And no I don't want to put black tape over the light .
anyone who has this p0480 code ,first off check to see if you have power going to the fan relay located on the front bumper ,large orange-red wire ,if no power go to the fuse box ,pull the 4 tabs and flip it upside-down and check to see if the orange-red wire has corroded, I went and bought a fusible link and added to orange-red wire and wired it directly to the battery hope this helps

Old 08-04-2018, 11:25 AM
Default P0480

So fans wouldn’t come on and car will overheat if not moving. So I grabbed a new fan relay. When I plug the new relay in the fans turn on with the car not running. Is the coolant temp sensor bad?

Quick Reply: P0480 cooling fan 1 control circuit malfunction