Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

P0734 Code help please

Old 04-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Default P0734 Code help please

2005 pacifica with 130miles.
I was traveling at about 75miles/hr and went to over take.The car shifted gear and shortly after the engine light came on.I traveled a further 15miles or so and slowed down.I noticed the car would not change out of gear and stuck in what i think was 2nd gear (not sure).
I traveled about 2miles further,turned the car off and waited about 15 minutes.Restarted and it started normally shifting gears but engine light stayed on.

The next morning i got up started the car and engine light was OFF.Car drove normall and we travelled about 100miles.

Wife took the car in to get tran oil and filter changed and was told to come back in two hours.When she came back they told here the tested the car and an error P0734 code came up.
They said the tranny needed to be rebuilt at a cost of $2100.They said this needs to be done straight away and it would take 2-3 days and they could rent us a car for $25 a day.

My wife wasnt born yesterday and asked if they had changed the tran oil and filter.They told her there was no point in doing so and that the work would need to be carried out on the rebuilt tranny.

She told them much to their disgust that in no way she was leaving the car to be fixed and that she would be looking for a 2nd or 3rd option.After this they got very quiet and seemed displeased.

This was not a mum and pop garage but a large chain, whos letter starts with an A and ends in Co.

The question is could it just need new tran oil and filter as this has'nt been changed in a long,or what other possibilitys can i look at.

This happened today and i haven't taken it to anyone else yet.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

go get second opinion its your right did they say why it needed to be rebuilt?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by palmy
I was traveling at about 75miles/hr and went to over take.The car shifted gear and shortly after the engine light came on.I traveled a further 15miles or so and slowed down.I noticed the car would not change out of gear and stuck in what i think was 2nd gear (not sure).
I traveled about 2miles further,turned the car off and waited about 15 minutes.Restarted and it started normally shifting gears but engine light stayed on.

The next morning i got up started the car and engine light was OFF.Car drove normall and we travelled about 100miles.

Wife took the car in to get tran oil and filter changed and was told to come back in two hours.When she came back they told here the tested the car and an error P0734 code came up.
They said the tranny needed to be rebuilt at a cost of $2100.They said this needs to be done straight away and it would take 2-3 days and they could rent us a car for $25 a day.

My wife wasnt born yesterday and asked if they had changed the tran oil and filter.They told her there was no point in doing so and that the work would need to be carried out on the rebuilt tranny.

She told them much to their disgust that in no way she was leaving the car to be fixed and that she would be looking for a 2nd or 3rd option.After this they got very quiet and seemed displeased.

This was not a mum and pop garage but a large chain, whos letter starts with an A and ends in Co.

The question is could it just need new tran oil and filter as this has'nt been changed in a long,or what other possibilitys can i look at.

Instead of listing possible causes look at this. Chrysler P0734 OBD/DLC Error Code - Gear 4 Incorrect Ratio

Old 07-01-2013, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by palmy

Have you searched in Google to find the code.. Even I faced code problem earlier so can use Google to solve it

Old 07-01-2013, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHopkins
I traveled about 2miles further,turned the car off and waited about 15 minutes.Restarted and it started normally shifting gears but engine
cheap hid kits stayed on.

Have you searched in Google to find the code.. Even I faced code problem earlier so can use Google to solve it
Have you got the code?

Old 07-02-2013, 08:21 AM

If it was mine i would do the simple/less expensive and change the oil/filter. what i would not do is let anybody flush the tranny. you don't need to stir things up that don't need stirred. what i would do is change the fluid/filter start it up work it through the gears a few times and drain it again and replace the fluid and see if that takes care of it. to get rid of the code with out a scan tool is remove one battery terminal and jumper it to the other one for 10 seconds ( NOT THE BATTERY TERMINALS ) just the cable and drive it see what happens. make sure you use a good fluid and it has a +4 on the bottle. this is for chrysler. put the code in you tube and see what pops up.