Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica 04 electronic problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Unhappy Pacifica 04 electronic problem

Well 2 year later and a 1000 miles north away from my last encounter trouble shooting my pacifica..

I found out that if I turn the IOD fuse around Everything turns off fine imedietly, but nothing works (even the clock) when I turn my key to accessory. That means that in accessory mode: my radio doesn't turn on, which should...But when I push the flasher botton the radio turns on..
Another thing that my Pacifica does is that sometimes and only sometimes I have to close the drivers door to be able to open the rear automatic door manualy (Because it does not open with the inside botton)..

Now when I turn The IOD fuse to normal position and do the same trick with the flashers, dash lights turn off, clock is working normal (with keys turned to accessory "on" or "off"), radio turns on (with keys turned to accessory)..

I'm hoping it's a lost ground (maybe in the door, undernieth the dash) and not the BCM.. Any ideas? or diagrams that some one can help me with.. Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM

This is something that might be useful and I quoted from allexperts, Roland, wrote this..
And more or less what to me.
Question
"
2004 Chrysler Pacifica will not start and has shown some signs of electrical problems just before this happened.
1) The headlights flashed by themselves the day it started.
2) The steering column will not lock and the computer does not think it is in park.

Answer
Hi Jon,
I think you may have a short or come sort that is drawing down the battery. You should get a volt-ohm-milliamp meter and then I can tell you how to get to the bottom of this. It could be something that drains the battery even when the vehicle is "off" or could be a short that is occuring when the ignition key is 'on'. Here is how to check it when it is off:
BATTERY IGNITION OFF DRAW (IOD)
High current draw on the battery with the ignition OFF will discharge a battery. After a dead battery is serviced the vehicle Ignition Off Draw (IOD) should be checked. Determine if a high current draw condition exists first check the vehicle with a test lamp.

Verify that all electrical accessories are OFF.
Remove key from ignition switch
Turn off all lights
Liftgate and glove box door is closed
Sun visor vanity lights are OFF
All doors are closed
Allow the Illuminated Entry System to time out in approximately 30 seconds, if equipped.
During Transmission Control Module (TCM) power down there will be 500 milliamperes present for 20 minutes. Afterwards less than 1.0 milliampere.
Disconnect battery negative cable Disconnect Battery Negative Cable
CAUTION: Always disconnect the meter before opening a door.

Using a multi-meter, that has least a milliampere range of 0-200 mA. Set meter to the highest mA range. Install meter between the battery negative cable and battery negative post Milliampere Meter Connection Carefully remove the test lamp without disconnecting the meter. After all modules time-out the total vehicle IOD should be less than 25 milliamperes. If ignition off draw is more than 25 milliamperes go to Step 4.
Each time the test lamp or milliampere meter is disconnected and connected, all electronic timer functions will be activated for approximately one minute. The Body Control Module (BCM) ignition off draw can reach 90 milliamperes.
Remove the PDC fuses:
Interior lamps
Brake lamp
IOD
If there is any reading, with fuses removed there is a short circuit in the wiring. Refer to Group 8W, wiring diagrams. If reading is less than 25 mA go to Step 8.
Install all fuses. After installing fuse, the current can reach 90 mA. After time-out the reading should not exceed 25 mA. If OK go to Step 8. If not, disconnect:
Radio
Body Control Module
Remote Keyless Entry Module
Disconnect one component at time, to see if any component is at fault. If the high reading is not eliminated there is a short circuit in the wiring. Refer to Group 8W, wiring diagrams.
Remove interior and brake lamp fuses. Install the fuses. The milliampere reading should be 2-4 mA. If reading is higher than 4 mA:
Disconnect PCM.
If reading is OK, replace PCM.
If reading does not change, disconnect the TCM.
If reading is OK, replace TCM.
If reading stays, there is a short circuit to one of the modules

If the IOD check doesn't find the problem, then check it with the ignition 'on' in a similar manner.
Roland
" Hope it helps some1..I'm going try this and come back..

Old 09-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Default Is the IOD fuse a special one?

I am having a similar problem with my 2004 Pacifica. We replaced the battery, ignition switch, and body control module - no change. I've read a lot on the internet about problems with the IOD fuse. Many people say this fuse is special and can be installed backwards accidentally. You said something about turning it around. My car has a normal, square 30 amp fuse in the IOD spot, just like all the other fuses in that row. But there are three slots. Where the IOD fuse goes. You can plug into the top two, or the bottom two. No difference, no matter where we plug it in. Is your IOD fuse different than all the others? The dealer was no help when I asked them (big surprise, huh?) I am pulling my hair out! I just want to be able to use my keyless remote without turning on the ignition first. Please help!

Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Default door ajar and lights not going out

2004 pacifica and we just started getting a message saying the left door was ajar and the interior lights would flash from dim " like they were going out " to bright. Tried shutting the door and that did not work, I had to shut the interior lights off, another thing is the alarm keeps going off. I tried to reset everything by disconnecting the battery but that did not work. I'm thinking its the relay but not sure which one. Any ideas ?