Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica P083b in Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:12 AM
Default Pacifica P083b in Limp Mode

I have had this car for over a year now and can not figure it out. 2007 Pacifica it has the 4.0 with the 62TE transmission.

We had other issues related to wiring and fan relay, but these were unrelated to the transmission problem I am facing. I am debating about taking it to a transmission shop, but I know they always try to charge me as much as they can. Still trying to figure this out myself.

The car will start out fine. If you reset all the codes it will start up and everything appears to be normal. All the gear selections are there. It isn't until you put it into drive and actually start moving that the transmission jumps into limp mode. You can physically feel it and the gear selection on the dash flashes and I think they area that says what gear you are in (1,2,3,etc) is gone. It will also jump into limp mode in the "manual" gear selection.

We have had all of the wires related to this code checked and all seemed okay. We replaced with a PCM that was supposedly programmed to my VIN and same thing. We did return the PCM because there seemed to be no difference.

So, I am looking for people that may have similar issues or ideas! I have heard to go for the TRS assembly/Shift Solenoid. Or do I just bring it in to a transmission shop with the transmission scanner?

Also, is the TRS assembly and shift solenoid the same thing? Having trouble finding information on the TRS assembly.

The only other thing I know is wrong with the car is the ambient temperature. It reads way off.

Old 02-08-2017, 10:47 AM

You have to take it in to a transmission shop and have the solenoid replaced. The limp mode is protecting the transmission from getting damaged.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ttype
You have to take it in to a transmission shop and have the solenoid replaced. The limp mode is protecting the transmission from getting damaged.
So you do think it is the solenoid that is bad? Would you recommend having the transmission shop do a full diagnosis or just replace the solenoid?

Also, could you explain why you think it is the solenoid? Would that make it not be in limp mode when you start it, but jump into it when you start moving?

Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM

What your experiencing is not a mechanical issue. It's electrical. A transmission shop will not just change the solenoid because that's what you told them is the problem. They will put their scanner on the car and take it for a road test. Unless your car is a electrical nightmare, there are not a lot of things that could do this outside of the solenoid.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:26 AM

Thanks for your help!

Is this something a DIYer could do? I wouldn't try it myself, but I have a friend that does a lot of mechanic work anything from brakes to replacing motors.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Here are a couple links you can check out. If you feel your buddy is capable of doing it..... have at her.

I have a 2007 Pacifica with a 4.0L that is currently in limp
The Chrysler 62TE automatic transmission (transaxle)

Last edited by ttype; 02-08-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:18 AM
Default Fixed It!

I own a 2007 Pacifica Touring, 2wd, 6 speed transmission. When the limp mode issue first happened it would only be when I was turning left after having been stopped. It happened more on damp/rainy days and eventually sterted happening any time I had to take off from a stopped position or stepped on the gas enough to cause the car to down shift into second gear. My car was pulling the same transmission solenid code. However, we could never quite "limp" the car back to the shop while still in limp mode to get a more accurate diagnosis. My mechanic looked into and noticed the transmission/engine mounts were shot and the transmission had been riding on the frame for quite some time causing lots of extra vibration. He changed the motor mounts and the problem went away... for about 10 weeks or so. I could tell the motor mounts were going bad again already and thought that was the issue again. Yes, the motor mounts truly went bad that fast. They did the first time we changed them too. *Do NOT use Anchor motor mounts for this car! The Anchor motor mounts are oil filled but are NOT hydraullic. The car HAS to have hydraullic mounts - stick to Chrysler parts for this, it is more expensive but will save you in the long run! Anyway, long story a bit shorter. My husband, in attempts to save us some money, decided to take on this project and we ened up replacing all sorts of sensors and ground wires and did replace ALL the motor mounts with Chryler parts, still no dice. We decided to replace the transmission soleind and in the process we found 4 wires that were all loose or disconnected. The wires are black and yellow and run inside a sheath that holds them all in place. It runs from the transmission to the frame. The wires had pretty well pulled out of the connector at the frame. The reason it happened was due to the bad motor mounts (engine shifting and extra vibration). Try this first!
It will save you time and hopefully money too!!!

Old 04-20-2018, 06:02 PM

It sounds to me that you don't really know what actually fixed the problem with all the parts you replaced, but I'm willing to bet that replacing the solenoid pack did the trick.. P083B indicates a faulty low/reverse solenoid switch. I had the same problem with my 08 pacifica going into limp mode intermittently. And there are 2 types of mounts for these vehicles. Two oil filled and one solid under the air cleaner but it's a different type of mount. There is also a solid type mount on the transmission. These hydraulic mounts allow for a slight amount of engine twist when you step on the accelerator and keeps the engine from falling back into place like a blown mount would causing you to hear a thump when it does.. They allow the motor to drop down in a controlled manner so as not to cause it to fall back down rapidly. They call them hydraulic but none of them are actually really hydraulic. Yes, they are all junk, even the mopar mounts. I had to replace one 1 week after I put it in. Turned out to be a defective mount. Then that one failed about 3 months later. These oil filled mounts are actually two halves held together by a stud and a nut inside the mount to limit travel, and they have rubber molded to the entire mount. Well the nut fell off of mine inside the mount and the two halves separated in 1 weeks time. Had to do the job again. All these hydraulic mounts are junk no matter what brand they are. Anchor mounts are actually very popular. It's the design of these oil filled mounts that is the problem. Finally got smart and rigged up a cable that would limit the engine twist before the mount reaches it's limit. It's been in for well over a year and a half now with no failure. If it fails again, I'll use a solid mount because it's a pain in the butt to replace these things, especially the front mount directly under the cooling fans. If something other than the solenoid pack or the PCM was your actual problem for the vehicle going into limp mode, then you are a rarity when it comes to this specific issue, but I'm willing to bet that replacing the solenoid pack fixed it.

Last edited by grbullets; 04-20-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Thank you for your input, however; I absolutely, 100% DO know exactly what fixed my car. We did NOT replace the solenoid pack. We replaced the ground. The one highlighted in the diagram I posted. I know anchor mounts are popular. It’s because they are very inexpensive in comparison to dealer parts. I also understand how they are made, as well as how they work and the difference between the oil filled, hydraulic, and solid mounts. I know too that anchor is the only company in my area that produces after market motor mounts for my car making it the only cheaper option. I am trying my best not to take offense to your response, implying I am less than knowledgeable. Although my car’s issue is not a rarity, I, sir, am. Please do not discredit me. I was not trying to say that how we fixed my car would fix every Pacifica struggling with limp mode. I was simply trying to offer a starting point if the Pacifica in question was having the same limp mode and code issues mine was.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 PM
Wink

Originally Posted by Crystal017
Thank you for your input, however; I absolutely, 100% DO know exactly what fixed my car. We did NOT replace the solenoid pack. We replaced the ground. The one highlighted in the diagram I posted. I know anchor mounts are popular. It’s because they are very inexpensive in comparison to dealer parts. I also understand how they are made, as well as how they work and the difference between the oil filled, hydraulic, and solid mounts. I know too that anchor is the only company in my area that produces after market motor mounts for my car making it the only cheaper option. I am trying my best not to take offense to your response, implying I am less than knowledgeable. Although my car’s issue is not a rarity, I, sir, am. Please do not discredit me. I was not trying to say that how we fixed my car would fix every Pacifica struggling with limp mode. I was simply trying to offer a starting point if the Pacifica in question was having the same limp mode and code issues mine was.
Well forgive me if I offended you! I have no idea how much you or anyone else looking for help knows about these vehicles. You did say that you did a lot of different things to your vehicle before it finally stopped which led me to believe that you weren't 100% sure what fixed it. However in my defense, you did say "we decided to replace the solenoid" which led me to believe that you did, and that you found some frayed wires in the process. I gotta say that you are the first person that I know of who had a limp issue like this that was caused by a bad ground strap. Never heard of that being a fix for a P083B and I did extensive research on what could cause it. A bad ground was not even mentioned as a fix on a site that a friend of mine who owns a dealer repair shop went to, and never heard of a bad ground strap throwing a transmission code.. This is a site that they pay to use and is not available to the public that shows specific problems and all the different things that fixed them. People on this forum come here looking for advice. People who give it have no idea of how much another person knows and many of them know very little about their vehicles. So don't be offended, I was only trying to help. I don't reply to posts trying to make people look dumb or inexperienced. We have no way of knowing how much you know, and personally, I like to give my suggestions in detail just in case that person doesn't know a whole lot about these vehicles. I'm on my 3'rd Pacifica and have dealt with a whole lot of issues that these things are known for, so I try to make useful suggestions not knowing if a person knows what their doing or not based on my experience with this particular vehicle..Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Just trying to help and nothing more..I'm glad to hear that you no longer have the issue, and I thought you mentioned that you had your solenoid pack replaced. Must have misunderstood what you said..My apologies!

Last edited by grbullets; 05-18-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Pacifica P083b in Limp Mode