Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Pacifica rear wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:15 AM
Default Pacifica rear wheel alignment

I have an 06 Pacifica Touring AWD. I had the vehicle aligned at a speciality frame shop and new tires put on. They told me that this type of vehicle is famous for alignment problems, front and rear. They said that the sub frame needed to be tweaked. So after the alignment, the front tire wear was perfect. They wore out fast, but I've never had front tires wear so evenly in my life. The problem is with the rear tires. Both of them wore out much slower than the fronts, but the inner edge of the tires wore out down to the wear bar and hardly any wear on the rest of the tread. Like it had a ton of negative camber. As far as I know, there is only a toe adjustment on the rear tires. Is this right?? Could the load leveler shocks be the culprit?? They're not leaking and the rear of the vehicle is still stiff. How do you check these things?? I don't drive with heavy loads in the back or anything. It appears that I'm not the only one having this problem. What would cause the rear tires to wear so badly on the inner edge, and why does it seem to be a problem with so many Pacifica owners??

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Hopefully someone has an answer to this, as my wife's does the exact same thing. We have had it aligned numerous times by diff places, and no help!

Old 06-13-2011, 03:49 PM

There are 2 options of specification for the vehicle....17 +19 inch wheels...Make sure they are using the right one.

Yes Aftermarket Shocks can cause a similar issue, But that should have been Noted when the car went on the rack.....

THe difference there is Ride Height. It is normal for the Tires to "TIP -IN" at the top , for example if the car was on a lift with the wheels HANGING...The Higher you go with the suspension travel, the more they tip.....

"Your Not Using the car to transport "CINDER BLOCKS" or Construction Equipment are You????

Old 06-14-2011, 04:16 AM

As I mentioned in my thread, no, I do not haul cinder blocks. Only took a couple family vacations when the car was loaded. 99% of the time there is nothing in the back of the vehicle. It doesn't seem normal to me for the tires to appear to tip in at the top with the vehicle sitting on the ground as one other person noted. Mine don't appear to be like that but the tires still wear as if they were. I had it aligned at a very reputable frame shop. I'm sure they knew that it has 17" wheels. This seems to be a problem with many Pacifica's, not just a few. Mine still has the factory load levelers on it. They aren't after market. How do you know when these things go bad?? It's not like you can bounce the vehicle like you can with regular shocks. With as many owners who have this problem, I wouldn't think that it's the shocks anyway. Must be just another of the wonderful Chrysler engineering designs. Maybe driving around with a load of cinder blocks isn't such a bad idea.

Last edited by grbullets; 06-14-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Default Not an expert

I, just yesterday, took my wife's in for an alignment. The wear was on the inside of the tires, plus the tires visually were tilted in at the top.

My toe was way out so they adjusted but they also said my camber was out but there was no way to adjust so I have to live with it. So, thankfully, it was not the shock absorbers for me which I was pretty worried about at $350 a pop.

Best 55 bucks Ive ever spent getting them aligned and visually they look to be back in order.

Just thought I would share my experience. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM

i have a 07 pacifica awd. last year we put new tires on and had the alignment done. the tires we had replaced were severally warn in at an angle. we were told it was because the alignment was so far off. once winter started i noticed that my back end was not gripping like it should and always felt like i was sliding. now we've only had these tires since the end of june last year and my back tires are bald in the back with the wires coming through. i knew the tread was going bald in towards the center of the tires and sunday, one of them blew out. we got it in today and was told our alignment is off.. again! yet it doesn't feel like it is. it is only the backend and it looks like the tires are "bowed" in the back. we cannot afford to keep buying tires for this vehicle and are seriously considering trading it in once we pay it off or taking a sledge hammer to it. i loved this vehicle when we got it and never had any real problems until this past year. we've had the struts replaced and a fuse for the heater. but other than that nothing. we tow our boat (a small 10ft "row boat") 4-5 times during the spring. but that is all. the "trunk" space is basically empty 99.9% of the time. don't drive like manics hitting every pothole in the road and driving off road. so we can't figure out how the alignment is off so bad that it tore through new tires in less then a year. any ides if anything else is causing the tires to wear so bad aside from the alignment??

Old 04-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Default Rear wheel alignment

Your rear wheels only have a toe adjustment. If the toe was off, you should have seen the tires wearing on one side or the other more so than in the middle of the tread. If your tires were wearing evenly but more in the center of the tire than on the edges, this indicates over inflation. Use a good accurate gauge when inflating and stay within recommendations. Don't use a cheap 99 cent guage. Take it to a shop that specializes in alignment when you get it aligned.
If your back tires wore out way faster than the fronts and they were all replaced at the same time, then I would say that there is something definately mechanically wrong. A bad toe setting shouldn't have done that as fast as you say unless it was ridiculously off, in which case the tires would not have been worn out in the middle of the tread. Have someone who knows what they are doing check the rear shocks, sway bar, bushings, springs and all the rear wheel adjustments to make sure that everything is tight and not worn out or broken. Put some used tires on the rear until the problem is solved. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM

I have the same problem on my 2005 Pacifica. Every time I get an oil change at 3,00 miles, I have to have a wheel alignment. If not, I will be purchasing tires every year. The rear tires always end up toeing in and are completely off alignment. I do no city driving at all . All highway. This problems just started to.. If I don't get the alignment, it feels like the rear end of the car is floating. I have NO clue what to do..

Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM

I still haven't heard of any fixes for this rear wheel alignment thing BUT, I did find out something while reading through my 06 Pacifica repair manual. When the vehicle is aligned, Chrysler recommends that the fuel tank be FULL. Maybe this has something to do with it as 23 gallons of gas weighs a significant amount. I still haven't had it realigned so I can't say if it's helped me or not but if it does, I will be sure to post it. I definately need to have it aligned as I have replaced both lower control amr's, wheel bearings, sway bar bushings and links, and an inner tie rod end on the front. The sway bar bushings didn't really need replacing but somewhere along the line I read that some people have had the front end clunking noise fixed by doing this, so while I had the links off I replaced the bushings too. I really doubt this was the cause of that particular clunking as it doesn't make sense. My clunk went away after I replaced the lower control arm's. Both of my control arm's were in bad shape which I hear is common in Pac's, but I live in Syracuse,NY where the roads have more pot holes than you'd find on back woods dirt roads. You can't dodge them or you'll get pulled over for suspicion of being drunk, so I keep a change bank going for front end parts.

Last edited by grbullets; 04-06-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM

R&R62, if I were you, I would have a competent frame shop check your rear suspension for loose bolts, check all bushings, shocks and everything else. Have them check your rim's for roundness or any defects too. Check the wheel bearings and everything. Your rear end should not be going out of align that much after 3,000 miles, especially highway miles. I would say you definately have something going on back there. I'm wondering if it still feels like it's floating when you have some weight in the back?? Are there any situations when it feel's like it's not floating?? Have you tried using a different (not the size) tire?? Sometimes certain tires just don't feel right on some vehicles. My last set of tires were Hankook Dyna Pro ATM RF10. I love them. I will buy them again when they wear out. They are definately better than the Goodyear Fortera tires I had before all the way around. Great in deep snow too.

Quick Reply: Pacifica rear wheel alignment