Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Service Immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Service Immobilizer?

I have scoured these forums, as well as the entire internet, and have yet to find an answer to what the "Service Immobilizer" message actually means.

Our current situation (I'm gonna try to be as detailed as possible, so bear with me)...

We have a 2008 Pacifica, AWD, with the 4.0L engine, PCM was replaced a few years ago. The car doesn't get driven a lot, so while it was sitting, the battery went dead. We got a brand new battery, installed it, and the car started and ran just fine for a few weeks. Then, one afternoon, we needed to move it and it was completely dead (no crank). I tested the battery level and it was fully charged. Tried restarting , but still completely dead. At this point, I noticed "Service Immobilizer" would appear in the message area, along with "door ajar", etc. When I try connecting my code reader, it just gives me an error, and won't even connect to the car. Also, the chime is a constant "dinging", like when you leave the keys in the ignition, or the lights are left on.

After a bit of searching, I saw several suggestions that the problem was most likely the key fobs needed reprogramming (we have 2 keys, which both were working fine before). One note, both key fobs will lock/unlock the doors but once you stick a key in the ignition and try to start the car, it triggers the "Service Immobilizer" message, and that key will no longer work with the remote door lock/unlock. However, if you disconnect the battery for a while, then reconnect it, BOTH keys will work to lock/unlock the doors. If you try to use a key to start the car, you're back to square one...

Anyway, we called a locksmith to come out and reprogram the keys. He attempted to connect to the car to do the reprogramming, but also got an "error". He suggested it was probably the PCM. So, I purchased a refurbished PCM that was supposed to be "programmed" to the vehicle with the VIN, etc. This was advertised to be "plug & drive". After a month of waiting, and several back and forths with the "company" the replacement PCM finally arrived. I plugged it in, reconnected the battery, and... the EXACT same thing...

At this point I was beginning to wonder if the PCM was actually programmed, but I really didn't want to have to go through any more hassles with the PCM "company" so I found a highly rated re-programmer who was way more affordable and had a newly programmed PCM shipped to me in 3 days. The PCM arrived today. I plugged it in, connected the battery, and.... SAME issue. :-( This kinda tells me that the PCM is probably NOT the issue here.

On a side note, this past weekend, I pulled the dash apart and located the SKREEM module attached to the ignition switch. For the heck of it, I disconnected the plug, and then connected the battery. The "Service Immobilizer" message was gone, AND there was no chime constantly "dinging". Everything looked "normal", however, the remote door locks wouldn't work with either key nor would the car start. I reconnected the SKREEM module, and the issues all returned.

I'm now wondering if the problem lies with the SKREEM module, itself?

As of right now, my options seem to be to have the locksmith come back out and attempt to "re-sync" everything back up, or possibly buy a new SKREEM module, and then attempt the "re-syncing". I'm a bit hesitant to have the locksmith come back out first because everything seems to be the same as it was the first time he came out. I get the "error" with my code reader, on all 3 of the PCM that I now own, so I'm figuring that he won't be able to connect his device, either.

I guess I just need some expert advice on what piece of the puzzle needs to be replaced to get this "brick" in our driveway back on the road. So, any Chrysler experts out there, please respond. Or, if you have experienced this same issue, please advise of what you did to resolve it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-25-2021, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like the skim module but you will nee to have that programmed once installed and then program the keys after that.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
sounds like the skim module but you will nee to have that programmed once installed and then program the keys after that.
Thank you for the reply! I will go ahead and get a new SKREEM and try that. I'm seriously at the end of my rope with this vehicle.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:09 AM

Replacement SKREEM module finally arrived, and I plugged in it, reconnected the battery, and gave it a try. The only real difference is it's now saying "Wrong Key & FOB" in the message center. It still says "Service Immobilizer", as well. Also, when I connect my scanner tool to the ODB2 port, I'm still getting a "Link Error". I know the scanner tool is good, because it works fine on our other vehicles, and it used to work fine on this Pacifica, too.

I do realize the new SKREEM now needs to be programmed to the vehicle before it will actually do its job, but doesn't the programming need to be done via the ODB2 port?

If my scan tool won't connect, I'm guessing there's no way any other tool will connect?

I'm wondering if I can just take the PCM, SKREEM, and keys to the local Chrysler dealer to have them all synced up without having to tow the vehicle there as well?

Old 09-04-2021, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

your basic scan code reader will not be able to talk to this module no. You need the professional grade ones or a dealer one to do this.
The PCM needs power the skim needs power so no you need to have then installed in the car to have them operate..
Your 08 has about 15 modules if i remember right and your code reader if basic will talk to just the pcm. If you have a little more advanced one maybe 4 like pcm, tcm, abs, and air bag. This is where the professionals pay 2k to 10k for scanners to be able to do certain things that just not anyone can do.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:30 AM

your basic scan code reader will not be able to talk to this module no. You need the professional grade ones or a dealer one to do this.
The PCM needs power the skim needs power so no you need to have then installed in the car to have them operate..
Your 08 has about 15 modules if i remember right and your code reader if basic will talk to just the pcm. If you have a little more advanced one maybe 4 like pcm, tcm, abs, and air bag. This is where the professionals pay 2k to 10k for scanners to be able to do certain things that just not anyone can do.
Ok, thanks, that makes sense.

I guess I will see about having the locksmith come back out. If that fails, then I guess the last resort is to take it into a repair shop.

Old 04-10-2023, 12:05 PM

UPDATE.... It's been over 2 years, and our Pacifica is still dead in our driveway. What I've tried:

I bought an Xtools d7 scanning tablet, which is supposed to be able to read much more than my basic hand-held scan tool. I can actually see some of the modules, but in order to try and read anything important, it wants me to "start the vehicle"

I attempted to reprogram the keys to the new immobilizer. I was able to get all of the way to where it asks for the PIN. Oh, this should be easy, right? WRONG. After buying an extra device that connects to the eeprom chip in the immobilizer, all i get is "PIN: 0000". I then retried the reprogramming process and entering "0000" results in "INCORRECT PIN"

We are now to the point where we are probably just going to part this thing out, and sell the carcass for scrap.

If you are looking for anything from this generation of Pacifica, please let me know and maybe we can work out a deal.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

this is where you need the dealer or a lock smith to program the 4 digit pin which you dont have 0000 is not the code.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:57 AM

this is where you need the dealer or a lock smith to program the 4 digit pin which you dont have 0000 is not the code.
Thanks for the info, but unfortunately, the sub frame/engine cradle has now rusted to the point where we no longer would feel safe driving it. Nor, would we feel right selling it to anyone else to drive. This vehicle has been one problem after another since we purchased it. Time to cut our loses...

Old 08-23-2023, 09:59 AM

We decided to give the car one last chance and called the best locksmith in the area (this is the same guy that all of the dealerships and repair shops use) to try and reprogram the keys. He tried everything he could, and couldn't make any progress, even using the Chrysler dealership software in his scanner tools. His theory is that there is a short in the 5v bus that's not allowing all of the systems to "sync" to tell it to start. He said it could possibly be fixed, by combing through all of the modules and wiring harnesses to locate the issue.

PROBLEM RESOLVED...

The car has been sent to the great scrap yard in the sky.

Never will I own another Chrysler vehicle.