Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Slow Oil Leak - Where is the Source?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:32 AM
Default Slow Oil Leak - Where is the Source?

So I have a slow oil leak in our 2006 Paficica. The only time I seem to actually get oil drips on the floor is after a rain and a little bit of water gets up under the engine. The water seems to help carry the oil down to the bottom motor mount centered under the engine. The is where the oil is dripping on to the floor. But it's not where the leak is.

Anyway, I suspect it's probably the oil pressure switch / sensor. I don't see oil leaking anywhere and the version of my motor must have the oil pressure switch behind the idler pulley because I can't find it. From a few posts that I have found it seems like I'm better off taking it somewhere instead of fighting with it.

Before I do take it somewhere else can anyone else think where I could look for the leak? I just can't seem to locate the source.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:59 PM

You might want to buy a can of engine cleaner and use it to clean the engine as best you can, especially in the area above the drip. Gravity probably is driving the drip downwards but air flow through the engine compartment while driving might be pushing it around a bit.

There are additives you can add to the engine oil to help you find a leak. They contain dyes that are either bright in color or visible under "black light" to make the path of the leak show up.

Good luck. If you succeed in finding and fixing the leak, come back and tell us how it went.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:20 PM
Default oil leak

if you have a AWD model. jack your car up and check the output shaft seal on the transfer case.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 AM

I would put some engine oil dye in it and use a black light and check where is it coming from. My not shop up right away if it is a slow leak but check it a few times a day and you should start to see the dye with the black light. That's how I typically find hydraulic fluid leaks in heavy equipment.