Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Exclamation Timing Marks Way Off need help

2004 Chrysler 300M 3.5 ltr
I replaced the timing belt and must have had some slack in the belt. When I put the belt tensioner back on and rotated the engine two times as the Haynes manual directed...the camshaft marks are way off. I may not have been on the compression stroke when I aligned TDC. Now at TDC on Crankshaft the cam shafts marks are 1-2 marks past 180 degrees opposite the marks on the top of the housing.
What do I do to realign everything? Some posts I have read caution against rotating a full revolution to realign the cams.
I have rotated the motor by hand more than one revolution...
can I go back in and rotate the camshafts clockwise to align the marks without the valves hitting pistons?
What is the procedure for realigning the camshafts and Crankshaft when they have moved this far and never been disassembled?

Old 03-04-2012, 06:56 AM

I just need to replace transmission fluids, is it a simple operations? as in this video:
Transmission Fluid & Filter Change Part 1 of 3 - YouTube
or maybe there are more proper operations to do?
---
about Fiat vehicles... in italy all fiat vehicles are famous for poor quality...and short life...

Old 03-04-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Edo300USA
about Fiat vehicles... in italy all fiat vehicles are famous for poor quality...and short life...
Same in USA but they have been gone for many years. Now they're back....we'll see how they do.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by mobest
2004 Chrysler 300M 3.5 ltr
I replaced the timing belt and must have had some slack in the belt. When I put the belt tensioner back on and rotated the engine two times as the Haynes manual directed...the camshaft marks are way off. I may not have been on the compression stroke when I aligned TDC. Now at TDC on Crankshaft the cam shafts marks are 1-2 marks past 180 degrees opposite the marks on the top of the housing.
What do I do to realign everything? Some posts I have read caution against rotating a full revolution to realign the cams.
I have rotated the motor by hand more than one revolution...
can I go back in and rotate the camshafts clockwise to align the marks without the valves hitting pistons?
What is the procedure for realigning the camshafts and Crankshaft when they have moved this far and never been disassembled?
To bring it all into time, set the cams on marks, put the belt on left cam-right cam, then back the crankshaft up a tooth, put the belt on it then move it forward to pull the slack out.

If you need to turn the cams, move the crank off of TDC so the pistons will go down some.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 AM

I just need to replace transmission fluids, is it a simple operations? as in this video:
Transmission Fluid & Filter Change Part 1 of 3 - YouTube
or maybe there are more proper operations to do?
---
Is that the transmission you have? It's pretty straightforward. The pan is a pain to clean all of the silicone off. If you have a NAG1, they are super easy to do. The key is to get the fluid level correct. Yes, you will need a dipstick.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:47 AM

mmm i don't know what kind of transmissions i have... I have a 300 Touring 2005, 3.5v6... where can i check transmissions type?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM

Someone have a tip to identify what kind of automatic trasmission i have?
NAG1 or 42RLE?
i think 42RLE checking in an autoparts dealer...

Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM

Someone have a tip to identify what kind of automatic trasmission i have?
NAG1 or 42RLE?
i think 42RLE checking in an autoparts dealer...
The NAG will only have 6 TOR-X bolts holding the pan on with little brackets. And it's rectangle. The other will have a more square pan with many bolts that have 10MM hex head fasteners.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 AM

Thanks so much!

Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 AM

Yesterday i went to mechanic and lifted up my 300c to check what kind of Automatic transmission i have... it's 42RLE.
Someone know the proper procedure to replace automatic transmissions fluids?

Quick Reply: Timing Belt Replacement