Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Towing Package questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Default Towing Package questions

Does anyone have any pictures of what the MOPAR hitch looks like? I'm thinking about buying a hitch and I'm wondering if the MOPAR requires that I cut the bumber at all. The other one I'm looking at is called Hidden Hitch and doesn't require that I cut the bumber. Just want to see what the MOPAR one looks like installed. Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM

I am sure there are at least 3 answers to this question:

MOPAR Hitch - Horizontal Style - will require a bit of the bumper to be cut away to allow for room. That is the style I have installed and it is a small cutout. I had the dealer do this when I bought the car, and I think it looks a lot better that way.

MOPAR Hitch - Vertical Style - the hortizontal style was an older style and they do not make it anymore. I had to have the newer style taken off and replaced, and luckily my dealer found one of the older styles sitting at a nearby dealer. The veritical mount is completely invisible from the rear of the car, does not require any cutting of the bumper. However, it does require an adapter to go down out of the receiver and back to receive a hitch. Two issues I had with this - the adapter costs another $35 or so, and as I wanted this for a bike rack primarily it would not even work! Not to mention it greatly reduces ground clearance to have the adapter drop down then back.

Hidden Hitch - my experience with these (not on a Pacifica mind you) is that they will not require cutting, but are far from hidden, and will likely ride much lower to the ground than the MOPAR hitch will. This may cause ground hitting, or even issues with thinks like a bike rack if you are using one. My wife's car has this and certain grades will always catch the hitch and drag a bit.

Good luck!
Scott

Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Default Hitch

This is the factory hitch on my 2007 Touring.

Attached Thumbnails Towing Package questions-hitch.jpg  
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the hidden hitch (not that hidden) and it looks pretty good. I did not have to cut the bumper. I'm wondering if/when you order the MOPAR version (new car build) if they install a different bumper or just cut it. I can't imagine them cutting something at the assembly plant.

The hitch does sit below the bumper but I'm not too worried about it dragging on anything. I looked at the height of the hitch and it's pretty much sits as low as the mufflers. I've never heard my mufflers hit anything.

Here is the hitch I ordered.

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~87432.htm?vehicleid=20079102

The install was fairly easy and I had no problems getting it installed. The videos on the website were very helpful. This install is impossible if you do not have another set of hands to help you hold the hitch in place while installing it.

The wiring was even easier to install.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-118303.htm

I have about $280 invested in everything. That includes the hitch, wirring, drawbar and ball. I'll be towing a camper in a couple days so we will see how it tows. I have a 2007 4.0 AWD.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM

Do have any pics of the finished install?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 PM

I'll take some pictures of it and post it up tomorrow.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 PM

Just ordered a U-haul hitch for my '07 off Ebay. $128 delivered. Found wire harnesses from a couple of different vendors. Ended up ordering one for $59 delivered.

I'll post an update once everything arrives and I've done the install.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 PM

Installed my U-Haul hitch the other night. I estimated the job would take about 90 minutes. It took me 2 1/2 hours.

Basically had to install it twice. Got it put in place, but the supplied bolts just wouldn't fit through the holes. Holes were too small, or bolts too big. Ended up dropping the entire thing down and opening the holes just a fuzz with a step bit.

Then the supplied "fish wire" deteriorated rapidly. I had to make my self a new fish wire buy cutting off the end and spiraling it around a smaller bolt.

The install was not complicated, but it sure wasn't easy.

The tonight I installed the Tee-Harness. Once again, a job that took much longer than it should have, but the factory gets the blame this time. The factory had wrapped the power lead on the vehicle harness with anti-rattle foam. I had a heck of a time getting the foam loose and fishing that lead out of the hole. The hook-up itself was easy though.

Back to the hitch. It hangs below the bumper cover, not tucked away neatly like the factory unit. Kind of ugly, but I'm not trying to win a beauty contest. It will probably need a hitch with a 4" rise.

Tomorrow we'll see how she pulls. I've got a bedroom set to move with a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul.