Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

06 pt cruiser battery light ittermittant

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 PM
Default 06 pt cruiser battery light ittermittant

Ive had my 06 pt cruiser for 7 days and. The day i got it the battery light came on. It goes off when i turn the car off. And it comes on every now and then. I called the dealer as soon as it happened and they told me to come in and they charged the battery. They said if it happens again call them. The next day it came on so i called them. They said to come in on monday and theyll book it into the shop.
So i went to a goodyear shop that a good friend of mine works at and he tested it and the alternator registered at 15.9 which is way high. So i go to the dealer on monday and take it to service dept and tell them its the alternator. Leave it with them for 3 hours and when i picked it up the light came on. The service center hadnt done anything to it. So tuesday i go to 2 other places amd they checl the alternator. All come bacl high readings. Take it to dealership. They say that service dept will change alternator. Take it to servi e center. They agree to change alternator. Leave it overnight. Weds pick it up. They havent changes alternator. So i make a scene cos they say nothing is wrong with alternator. They refuse to do a alternator test in fromt of me sp i can see the reading. Finally i get them to replace alternatir. Dont know if it worked yet as im atill in the waiting room.
But if its not alternator what can it be?
Im tired of this. I just want one car that works.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 PM

If you don't know anything about charging systems, don't insist on controlling the repair process. The purpose of the alternator is to supply electricity for the vehicle's systems and to charge the battery. It does so by producing electricity at an appropriate voltage and current. That voltage is actually controlled by the engine computer, which serves as a voltage regulator to keep the battery properly charged without overcharging, which is also bad.
So somebody got a reading of 15.9 from the alternator. 15.9 what? Volts? Amps? It makes a big difference. Where exactly was the reading taken?
A proper procedure for determining what is wrong would include separate testing of the various components of the charging system to determine which of them might be failing and why. If you don't have confidence in the shop, find another.
Nobody here can tell you where the problem is without being able to examine, test and diagnose the vehicle.