Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2002 PT Cruiser 2.4L Stalls With No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 08:31 PM
Default 2002 PT Cruiser 2.4L Stalls With No Codes

Hello, everyone! I am trying to figure out why my daughter's PT Cruiser has been stalling. Typically it happens coming out of or rolling into an idle situation (pulling into a parking lot or accelerating from a traffic light) but once in a while it will happen while driving.

I have been trying to get a handle on the long term fuel trim readings, which tend to be high in park (up to +24 in park, but it seems to have come down some after some injector cleaner), but pretty normal when driving. I have checked the fuel pressure (about 56 psi). MAP readings seem good, 99 kPa at key on, 30s or so when running. O2 sensors fluctuate in the acceptable range from 0.1 to 0.9 volts. ASD relay and fuel pump relay check out.

I was hoping to find a clogged or dirty injector, but I took apart the fuel rail today and all four injectors seemed to be spraying properly and evenly, but I cleaned them up anyway. Going to change the o-rings and intake manifold gaskets tomorrow.

I haven't found any vacuum leaks. My dad is convinced that it's the EGR valve, but I have zero codes, so I'm not convinced and I'd hate to change or even disturb a working part on a 20+ year-old car for no reason.

I hate to think it's an issue with the timing belt or shafts, because I feel like that repair is at the limits of my DIY abilities, and getting it done at a shop is currently stretching my budget thin.

The only thing I really wish I had a better answer from my daughter about is whether or not the AC was running when it stalls. The car runs pretty well, but it gets noticeably rougher when the AC is on. I have never had it stall on me during numerous test drives (of course), so I have no firsthand experience.

Sorry for the lengthy first post, but I wanted to give as many details as possible. Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Old 06-27-2023, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

cam or crank sensor is a likely cause

Old 06-28-2023, 09:36 AM

I have replaced the cam position sensor (because I had a code indicating it had failed/was failing). I can look into the crank shaft sensor. Just for my own knowledge, can you explain how the crank shaft sensor causes stalling with no codes? Not at all intended as any doubt of your experience, I just like to know how things work. I'm a relay technician for the electric company, so electrical circuits are my thing. Thanks!

Old 06-29-2023, 07:26 AM

What the ECU thinks:
No crank signal == no engine spinning
no engine spinning == no sparkie sparkie and no fuelie fuelie

Old 06-29-2023, 07:35 AM

😂Thanks for the response. I've watched several videos on replacing the sensor, so I'll give it a try. Doesn't look TOO hard, but I do have big hands, so I'm sure it will cost the price of the sensor, lots of sweat, busted knuckles and profanity.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

so the crank sensor can fail for a split second and cause the engine to loose count of rpm then stall which usual happens when the engine is slowing down at a stop lite or something. IF it happens enough times it will trigger a code. Your also likely using a cheap scanner not a professional grade onw that will show back data of missed cam crank sensor signals.

Old 07-03-2023, 05:52 AM

Thanks so much for your help, it is truly appreciated. I replaced the sensor this weekend, hopefully this is the end of the stalling saga! There are other routine repairs I'd like to make, but I want to have it running reliably before I sink any more money into it. Have a nice holiday!