Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2004 Pt Cruiser stalling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 07:57 AM
Default 2004 Pt Cruiser stalling issues.

Hello to all, I am a new member. I have a 2004 clean pt cruiser that my sister gave me. When I got it 3 years ago, it would run a few blocks then stall. If you waited 5 minutes it would start back up and run another 3 blocks and stall.

Here is what has been done to it in 3 years. OMG. Ok. I thought it was a fuel pump. So I replaced it. Stalling still happened. I replace most of the fuel line. I replaced the rail. I replaced the carb and all sensors in the carb. I replaced the camshaft and cam sensors as well. All sensors to the motor were replaced. Unless I missed one. I replaced a sensor in the steering column. I replace a sensor the front one on the exhaust. I also replace all shoes, drums, calibers, lines etc. lol I knew that wasn't the problem. I did it just to do it. Ok, so I thought it would work. I started it up and was driving it down the yellow brick road. It ran great for about 50 miles. So I thought I had fixed it. Yeah was almost at OZ. Then I was driving at night and the dreaded check engine light comes on. Yes it stalled. I waited 5 minutes and it started back up. I did a code test and it pull the rear 02 sensor which I did not replace as of yet. I am buying a exhaust from manifold all the way back. I will replace the 02 sensor as well.

So I was wondering which I know it will keep on stalling what could it be. I read about a power steering switch that could stall the engine so I will buy that. Does anyone have the knowledge to tell me what they think it is. Please before I have the wicked witch of the west light this mint condition cruiser up in a field in the country where the scare crow was lite up. Any takers? begging for help.

Old 04-22-2023, 11:05 AM

What was the actual diagnostic code pulled? Some scanners misreport the meaning of the dtc. A downstream/rear O2 sensor code will not cause a stall. Did the engine stall at speed, while slowing down, stopped, or accelerating? Are there any other codes stored (no longer active).

Not certain regarding an '04 but later years captured an engine data freeze frame when a dtc was triggered. Some scanners are able to pull this data. Does your scanner show live data so someone can monitor it while the vehicle is being driven?

Is it possible the catalytic converter is clogged?

May be time to stop firing the parts cannon and get a trusted mechanic to take a look.

Note regarding parts, only OE/NKT O2 sensors should be used; bosch and auto parts stores do not play well with Chryslers. Same suggestions applies to engine sensors, OE is recommended. Cost a bit more but guaranteed to work. Hope you did not replace the fuel pump with an Airtex as they are problematic.

Old 04-22-2023, 02:57 PM
Default PT Cruiser Stalling

Originally Posted by ggoose
What was the actual diagnostic code pulled? Some scanners misreport the meaning of the dtc. A downstream/rear O2 sensor code will not cause a stall. Did the engine stall at speed, while slowing down, stopped, or accelerating? Are there any other codes stored (no longer active).

Not certain regarding an '04 but later years captured an engine data freeze frame when a dtc was triggered. Some scanners are able to pull this data. Does your scanner show live data so someone can monitor it while the vehicle is being driven?

Is it possible the catalytic converter is clogged?

May be time to stop firing the parts cannon and get a trusted mechanic to take a look.

Note regarding parts, only OE/NKT O2 sensors should be used; bosch and auto parts stores do not play well with Chryslers. Same suggestions applies to engine sensors, OE is recommended. Cost a bit more but guaranteed to work. Hope you did not replace the fuel pump with an Airtex as they are problematic.

Ok I can start the Pt Cruiser up and let it sit. It will run all day long with out a stall. When I just drive it, it stalls. Don't know if it stalls while going fast or slow. Driving it or moving is when the car stalls. I don't have the code reader that you can drive and read at the same time. Can borrow one. Code is always P0032 or 38.

Thank you

Old 04-22-2023, 06:20 PM

The codes refer to the O2 sensor, specifically the heater element in the sensor. Unfortunately a failing O2 sensor can cause the catalytic converter to eventually fail which may be causing the stalling issue.

You can fire the parts cannon again and replace the O2 sensors but I would suggest a trip to a trusted mechanic for a through diagnosis. Besides an O2 sensor can be a PITA to remove after 19 years.

Last edited by ggoose; 04-22-2023 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 07:47 PM

I will load the cannon and replace the exhaust from manifold back with a new sensor as well as the power steering switch.

Thank you I will keep you informed.

Old 04-23-2023, 06:57 AM

why not just pull the cat out and inspect it, before buying any parts? it'll be prett obvious if it's clogged or not.

Old 04-23-2023, 11:10 AM

Replacing the power steering pressure switch may require loosening the power steering rack. Note there is a specific dtc for a failed power steering pressure switch that also lights the CEL. I would suggest not replacing it unless it throws a code.

Old 05-09-2023, 11:17 PM

Ok back to the drawing board. I bought a brand new cat and exhaust system to manifold back. The cat was a little clogged yet it was replaced. So now there is a brand new exhaust system. I would advise anyone doing this work, that the heat shield around the exhaust will be rusted. The head was 9.5 metric. I have never seen that before.
So where are we now? No codes yippie. Yet it still does the same thing. Turn it on, wait about 5 minutes and the car will stall. I used a code reader and it did come up with throttle control sensor. That went away when I erased the reader and no codes. I ran fine. Yet it did it again tonight. Symptom's runs great then stalls after 5 minutes. Wait 5 minutes and it will start up for only 5 minutes. Fuel pump is new, all gas lines are new, jets are new and I threw every senor at it. Any suggestions.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:44 AM

Go back to the begining, and look at the combustion triangle.
Fuel
Spark
Air

Is it actually getting fuel when it does.
Does it actually make spark when cranking
is it getting air

You didn't mention what brand of oxygen sensor you installed. @ggoose wasn't kidding about only using OE/NTK oxygen sensors.
You really need to find someone with a better diagnostic computer that can monitor real-time engine parameters, like spark advance, injector pulse width, and O2 sensor outputs. Right now you're flying blind.

Old 05-11-2023, 02:50 AM

Reset everything. I finally got the code P0032 and 38 which I know what that means. I have ordered the PCM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Pt Cruiser stalling issues.