Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Power draw 08’ Pt cruiser.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 10:22 PM
Default Power draw 08’ Pt cruiser.

So bought this car for my 16 year old, ran great for about 300 miles. Then let it sit for 3 days and had to jump start it. Seems to be lugging now too. Had Autozone full charge and test battery and it was good. Took the car back n had them test the alternator, starter, try to pull any stored codes. So everything appears to be in great working order. I replaced the plug wires, n plugs. Still lugging till it’s nice and warmed up. Got a ignition switch, and intake gasket seals(haven’t installed yet).
Now Autozone is charging the battery overnight, and figured I should probably figure out the battery situation. I have a multimeter n watched a bunch of YouTube, hooking it up to the battery, pulling fuses to trace the draw ect.
I just need some guidance, I’m a single mom out of work cause of this covid bul****, I got the time, just not the money for someone else to figure it out!! Please someone help me

Old 12-19-2020, 10:29 AM

How old is the battery? There is a date code on the battery that will note when it was manufactured. If more than 4 years old, I would first replace it regardless of what autozone testing indicates.

Quick, not exhaustive, test of the battery and alternator. Motor off, testing at the battery posts should read between 12.2volts and 12.6volts. Under 12.2 volts indicates a weak/failing battery. Motor on, the reading should be about 14.2 volts, good range is 14.0 to 14.6volts. Under 14 volts indicates a problem with the alternator.

Unless the ignition switch is worn out, return it. Same with the intake gaskets, return them. If a gasket was bad you would have a surge at idle.

When you replaced the plugs did you use the OEM copper plug, champion re16mc? This 4-banger runs best on champion copper plugs.

Check out this thread to search for a battery drain: https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...y-drain-25467/

I would also toss a bottle of Techron in the fuel tank at the next fill-up. It does a nice job reducing many drivability issues.

Last edited by ggoose; 12-19-2020 at 10:33 AM.