Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

PT Cruiser Steering rack sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Default PT Cruiser Steering rack sensor issue

Hi,
I bought a PT cruiser recently, and on the drive home the engine management light came on. After checking the code it ended up being the streeing rack oil sensor. I later found that the car did not have a sensor fit to the rack. Infact where the sensor should be, it was a blind hole !! I have no idea whats going on, as the rack looks original.Also the engine light will go off after approx 50 miles, then come on for 50etc etc.
Apparently this sensor is to raise the engine revs when the steering is turned on tickover. The car is fine without this sensor.... so does anyone know if there is a way this error check can be disabled to stop the light from coming on ?? Any help would be appreciated .

regards

Lee

Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: PT Cruiser Steering rack sensor issue

what year pt engine size or last 8 of your vin humm how many miles on it?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:23 PM

It's an 03 on a 02 plate, Engine size 1996cc

Regards

Lee

Old 05-30-2007, 01:24 PM

It has just under 6k on the clock by the way

Regards again

Lee

Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

REMOVAL NOTE: Before proceeding, (Refer to 19 - STEERING - WARNING). [ol][*]Disconnect negative battery cable from the negative post of the battery. Be sure cable is isolated from negative post on battery.[*]Raise the vehicle. (Refer to LUBRICATION & MAINTENANCE/HOISTING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).[*]Locate the power steering fluid pressure switch on the back side of the power steering gear (Switch Location).[*]Remove the vehicle wiring harness connector from the power steering fluid pressure switch. NOTE: When removing and installing the power steering pressure switch, use a 7/8 inch deep well socket. The deep well socket will prevent damage to the plastic electrical connector area of the power steering fluid pressure switch.[*]Unscrew and remove the power steering fluid pressure switch from the power steering gear.[/ol]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1033/E93D90443F9A4796980C85A3DBC74F60.gif[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2007, 01:37 PM

I don't think you have read my mail properly. I don't want to know how to fit a sensor.... I CAN'T fit a sensor, the hole is blind !!( no hole to the oil). Also someone has obviously damaged the thread as the hole is now WAY to big for the sensor to fit. This is why I'm wondering if you can disable the check. I know it's probably asking a lot...

Cheers anyway

Lee

Old 05-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

no u cant unless u know the program software for a chrysler computer. or if u can figure out how the sensor reads either just a on of switch or a restance switch u can rig something up to dupuclate it.