Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

Tensioner, Timing Belt, Water Pump.....OH MY!

Old 11-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Cool Tensioner, Timing Belt, Water Pump.....OH MY!

Hi All -

Purple 2001 PT Cruiser, 5 speed manual, 123k miles. Water leaking from water pump pretty badly but belt is still in tact and car still starts and ran before I shut it down for diagnosis. I don't think the head gasket was damaged but might replace along with plugs since I am into the engine that far anyway and the car is new to me.

I am a relatively confident wrench turner and have replaced timing belts and water pumps before but after watching a few videos, this job seems to be a bit cumbersome and time consuming. Nonetheless, I will complete the job without the $1000 auto shop bill.

Question: Anyone done the job already and have suggestions on which kit they purchased. I am curious about not only brand but components in kit. For example, some kits have just the tensioner, timing belt, and water pump.........while other kits include tensioner with bracket, crank seals, assembly cover, etc.
Basic three part kit is about $150 + shipping and the more comprehensive kit runs just less than double that price (~$280.00 + shipping.)

Any suggestions/advice are welcome!

Old 11-03-2017, 11:46 AM

If you can afford to have the car down for the extra time, you may want to strip it down first to see what it really needs, then decide which kit to buy.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:02 PM

dcotter0579 - Thanks for the input.

Very true, if I could tear down first and see what's required versus optional, that would be ideal..........but I am doing this project outdoors (jack stands, etc.) I would love to have the parts in hand once I tear down, since WINTER IS COMING! haha

Old 11-06-2017, 09:08 AM

Okay, so I started to tear into the engine yesterday and while I was working....I noticed that everything around the block and crank/timing belt cover was covered in oil. The alternator was so covered in oil that I didn't even recognize it at first. I am wondering if the oil came from crank shaft seal leaking or if it is coming from the back of the block (head gasket.) Wherever it's coming from - it must be spewing out in order to cover all these nearby components.

Any thoughts on this? Should I just tear the head off and replace the seal while I am in this far?

Thanks again forum members!!!!

Old 11-15-2017, 09:12 AM

Oil is not likely to be leaking through the head gasket. It's metal and not likely to be leaking like that. Possibly a little seepage but even that's unlikely. To be spewing like that it's probably coming out at the front main seal and being spewed by the crankshaft damper. Looks like you'll need the bigger repair kit.
These things never happen in good weather, do they?