Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 T&C 3.8L starting question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Default 03 T&C 3.8L starting question

I recently replaced my fuel pump and filter while on the road (had to use non-OEM parts - Airtex). After the replacement everything ran/started great. Recently when you attempt to start the engine by just cranking without touching the accelerator it won't start. I now have to press the accelerator to get it to fire up. Idles fine and drives strong. Just curious why all of a sudden I have to give it some gas to get it to fire up. Plugs and wires recently replaced as well (before the Fuel pump and filter). There is less than 500 miles on all of these parts.

Any suggestions as to why?

3.8 L 250K miles

Old 08-19-2014, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Turn the key on and off 3x with out starting the car will it fire right up then?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 AM

I have not tried that. I can see what that will do, but I don't understand what getting any error codes to display would do to help it start without pressing the accelerator. Can you explain?

Old 08-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

has nothing to do with the errors codes I want to see if the fuel pump primes up or not

Old 08-22-2014, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
has nothing to do with the errors codes I want to see if the fuel pump primes up or not

I'll try this tonight. I can tell you this though, you can hear the pump momentarily run when you first turn the Key to ON. I would assume it is priming the system.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:37 PM

Oddly enough I did the on-off 3 times, got one code 1684, turned the key and it started right up without pressing the accelerator. Beats me why it wasn't starting like that before.

thanks CHRYSLER TECH.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Because when I had to turn teh key on and off 3x the fuel pump has primed up and fuel is now at teh injectors. IF u wait awhile it will drain back into teh gas tank.
U have a bad fuel pump basically

Old 10-15-2014, 07:50 AM

CHRYSLER TECH,

I had some other things keeping me from replacing the Fuel Pump. Still runs great only you have to prime the pump with the key-bump when it hasn't been running for a while.

If the fuel pump is low on pressure will it cause bad gas mileage? Currently the minivan is getting less than 12 MPG when I have always had around 17 MPG in the city. Not sure what is causing this one, but if the fuel pump could be part of this I see dropping the tank again in my near future. I had to use an AirTex unit at the time so it is under a lifetime warranty, but I might have to just pay again and get a mopar unit. What should the normal operating pressure be if I were to put a fuel pressure gauge on it? Is there a pressure I should look for when the ignition is turned on (primed pressure)?

Thanks,

Old 10-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

55 PSI is normal running pressure The pump works fine the regulator that keeps the pressure in the rail is the issue or like i said something else is making it leak down.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:36 PM

OK, thanks. New pump this weekend I guess.

Quick Reply: 03 T&C 3.8L starting question