Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 T&C No start, steering wheel not locking

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Default Rando, read my post first...

I wrote a nice long reply elsewhere..please read..

same was happening to me.(see previous post somewhere here...can't figure out where to find it)..I love my van..a Chrysler T & C, not sure of the particulars, but my favorite drive of all..I'm nearly 62 by the way...I am not a car crazy, and have no idea if I am phrasing any of this correctly, but I was having the same issue..would run and drive fine for a long while...and then boom! not start, I was even brave enough to drive to Northern BC...by myself...of course, when I stopped for anything other than gas or sleep, I left it running...
back to the story...I have had my van towed at least 10 times..thank the lord for Triple A...it always involved pulling it onto one of those flatbed tow trucks..which jiggled it some, and when I got to the dealership...not the same one always..just near wherever I happened to stall...my van would always start...and they could never find anything wrong...or had no idea how to fix...etc...on and on...always an unsatisfactory excuse to me...or if I left it overnight, it would 'usually' start...this behavior got me thinking...and looking on the internet..which led me to this site...somewhere in my travels, I saw someone who mentioned the 'instrument harness' ...after my successful return from Northern BC...I visited my car guy..the man who works on my van and all the other cars in my family...I told him and his son, who works with his dad, about the instrument harness and the comments about it here on the web..

His son took the dash apart, removed the harness..and looked at all the solder dots on the card..some looked 'skimpy' and like the robot who did the soldering, ran out of juice the day they were done...The good son volunteered to take it home and re-solder those points..there were maybe 5 that were questionable..if I would agree..and I did...by this time I am desperate...he did..plugged it back in, making SURE the plugins were well connected...and it has not faltered since....making me very happy..as I said..I love this van...

An alternative to this, is to replace the harness with one from a junk yard..paying attention to the color of the plugs..I saw that here somewhere too..not sure where...but you may get a lemon doing that..so if you have the nerve, I recommend the solder fix...

Another thing I was going to try, in a pinch...was to jump up and down on the van like a monkey...or jack up the front or back end to re-negotiate where the connection wasn't connecting...to maybe get the connection that wasn't connecting and causing this to re-connect...I thought this one up on my own, based on knowing the van would start always after being dragged up onto the tow vehicle...

Good Luck my friend...this is good advice...let me know what works out for you?

And to Chrysler fix-it guys and gals...please know this is a bigger problem than just a few..my technician is now using my fix on other vans...so a win win...to not replace the instrument harness for hundreds of dollars...and make more customers happy...Many times when I was towed somewhere I was told I was not the only one this happened to..a lot...

Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 AM

Thanks alot for all the info, sounds like I need to pull the cluster and take a look. Its so frustrating... and we need the van , recently had a house fire so its just always something again thank you Ill pull it and see what it looks like

Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I also did find yesterday a test for teh cluster. It showed muliple codes 100.1 100.3 100.4 100.5 100.6 400.1 before ending. Could this be something in the cluster? Ill have to pull that and at least take a look

Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Default sounds promising!

at least you are finding 'codes' my experience was the codes were never there when they would test, as the tow had magically 'fixed', so if you find that is the issue, I will be delighted..thank you...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 AM

From what i was told sounds like it could be the cluster with that many codes appearing. ill have to pull it

Old 06-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Default progress!

Sounds like you are on the right trail...be sure to look over the joints with a magnifying glass..that is what my tech did, he said not too obvious with the naked eye..but he could tell something was off with better view...good luck...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 AM
Default funky problems

Rando,

I have had a few other issues with my van, I still love it, but in case you have other issues, there is another thread here that is very informative...click on my id and then search for all posts by me...one of the options...read each thread and the info in it that I have posted on..I think you are on 2 of them already, but there is a third that is very interesting and very on the mark for your issue..no doubt said better than I could say it...good luck again, keep at it, I KNOW you will get it fixed right....

Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 AM

Rando, were you able to figure this out? I have the same issue.

Originally Posted by Rando
From what i was told sounds like it could be the cluster with that many codes appearing. ill have to pull it

Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 AM

Sorry for the delay, mine ended up being the PCM. I finally had to take it to a dealer to confirm because I didnt know what else to do. I had no luck with the aftermarket pcm

Old 10-02-2022, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
take it to some one this is over your head
hey Chrysler tech why don’t you stfu wit your smart mouth responses to people seeking help. We don’t come to these forums to listen to your smart mouth trash comments. Either help the person or stfu and keep your mouth shut. 😉