Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'03 Town and Country cooling fan relay problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 01:48 PM
Default '03 Town and Country cooling fan relay problem

Our T&C started overheating Thursday. After letting it cool an topping off coolant, It took about 10 min for it to climb almost to the red. Replaced the thermostat, and it went 4 miles or so before getting hot. Noticed only 1 fan working when AC on. Let it cool and made it another 3 miles home. Swapped the 40 amp cooling fan fuse with the power window fuse and it operated the windows. ran 12 volt directly to the 2nd fan and it ran. A friend came over and used his scope to operate both fans. He then pressure tested the system and found an air leak at the restrictor valve. I replaced that along with the hoses on both ends of it. Started it up , both fans worked. Drove it less than 2 miles and temp went almost to the red again. Fans not working. It only took about 5 minutes for the temp gauge to go back to normal( just below 1/2) which seems faster than I expected. Coolant was bubbling back through the reservoir. After letting it cool once again, it took approx 1/2 gallon to bring the coolant level back to top of radiator so I expect an air bubble in the system. I put the van on ramps to try and lift the front end which I saw somewhere might help with the bubble issue.

Old 10-21-2023, 01:53 PM

My bad, I wasn't finished with first post....

I am trying to test the cooling fan relay and had an issue trying to disconnect the wiring connector. The red locking tab broke off and now I can't disconnect it. Can I just get in there and break little pieces off or is there an easier way to take it off?

Old 10-22-2023, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

use a pick to push it from behind or use the same pick to dig it out from the front.