Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

04 with auto temp...HELP!

Old 10-30-2017, 12:38 AM
Default 04 with auto temp...HELP!

Been searching all day today and can not find a post sharing my problem anywhere. Yesterday I lost front interior fan and a/c not kicking in, along with vent positions not changing when turning the ****. All lights work on the control panel and the rear unit functions properly with front panel operations.
Swapped fuse panel relay..No help, replaced control module(resister block behind glove box)..NO help! Front blower had been sounding normal before this occured, never had one quit in the 23 years that I have owned these mini vans, The reliability of the HVAC systems had been one of my "happy thoughts" of these vans, but this one is my first auto temp control equipped rides to deal with! ANY help appreciated,Getting rainy and COLD here in the Buffalo, NY area!

Old 10-30-2017, 05:14 AM

You proberly got a BUS com failure , get the error code read out .

Old 10-30-2017, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the response!.. Definitely HAD a failure, Seeing how the rains have stopped for a while this morning, I put power and ground from small riding mower battery to the blower wires. Fired right up as it crunched up a twig that had caught in the blower cage and jammed it somehow! All is OK now and working properly, left the replacement module installed, as all is working correctly now and I have a surgery scheduled for tomorrow. And this is the transport vehicle! Will pay more attention to blower force and "sounds" for a while, but will keep in mind of a possible need for new blower down the road!

Old 11-11-2017, 02:57 AM

OKAY, bit of an update. Yesterday we took the van out for a small trip, temp was 10*f, The interior fan for front system would NOT start blowing at any speed for 45 minutes of driving and then all of a sudden just operated like normal!It did have heat and could feel flow thru vents from forward speed of driving. I am thinking a senor or connection in this Auto Temp Control system, ANY help appreciated!
Update: This morning started up the van..NO front HVAC fan let it run for 30 minutes and finally HVAC fan kicked on. Had good heat temp of motor coolant,During this waiting time I played with settings and when put into auto hi or low would get a message that said DELAY and a timer countdown that worked for 15 second intervals. still took forever for fan to start running at any speed. My question is this...Could a dying Engine Temp sensor be at fault? Or does it not tie into the ATC system?

Last edited by REBEL59; 11-11-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM

After much checking and poking around, I think I may finally have found the cause. But since it is below freezing out, I am going to wait till I can get it indoors or it warms up some. Need to test the rad fan relay that's mounted on the front bumper, as I have said the A/c won't kick on and the van is now giving code P0480 (this just happened today). Also noticed that the 2 rad. fans were running at same time when engine temp required just the 1 fan to operate.
If bad, I intend to use the relay from my other van (now parts vehicle) and harness connector. Will update as help offered is given or when I get it going!

Old 11-12-2017, 03:36 PM

UPDATE:
Found 2 actual problems. The radiator fan relay on the front bumper was indeed bad, took the one from my now parts van and got the rad fans working correctly and got A/C function back. I am going to have to replace the front HVAC Blower motor, as it is needing more "juice" than the ATC system supplies. If I put 12v power and ground to it from a small riding mower battery, it spins right up. But after sitting a while, it will not kick on.
Thankfully there is only 1 mounting bolt that is tricky to get at, have seen and done worse replacements,but if this were a manual HVAC, I am sure that the motor would be fine!

Old 11-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Well after removing the interior fan motor this morning, I could barely spin the cage by hand. New blower motor is now installed and EVERYTHING working as it's supposed to!

Old 11-14-2017, 02:42 AM

Great, glad to hear you've got it sorted. Always good when you can solve something!
Thanks for the updates, handy for reference in the future for all :-)

Old 11-14-2017, 09:50 AM

First morning test after a cold overnight. Turned key to run position and in a manual mode,the blower fan started right up. Started the van and selected auto low and got the delay message on the control panel, went and poured up a cup of coffee in the house then went back out and the fan speed indicator had risen to half point of it's scale and had low speed air coming from the floor/windscreen vents. So I guess I have learned that in auto modes, the motors coolant temp sensor does tie in with the system as a on/off due to coolant temp to not blast cold air in the cabin. I think I will just use MANUAL settings for where I want heat and fan force for initial start up when weather is cold/snow! I have been spoiled by many years of using manual type HVAC systems in all my previous(and MANY) autos! But when we first got this van in the summer, the auto temp was nice on long hot rides to self regulate the cabin temp feel!

Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 AM

some times it's just a simple fail i'm glad you found it