Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

'06 Aftermarket Tow Package

Old 04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Default '06 Aftermarket Tow Package

Just bought a '06 T&C "Walter P" Signature Series. I love all the creature comforts, especially those that keep the kids occupied, but it is missing one vital accessory...a tow package. I've got an 18' aluminum bass boat w/40 horse motor. I would estimate the entire package to be no more than 2000 lbs. The extent of my towing would be (3) or less trips per year at 225 miles round trip. I typically tow with my truck and would only use this van when the kids are along...need the DVD.

I'm looking for some overall recommendations...
1.) "Do's & Dont's" - Any special considerations to be aware of when towing with this mini-van, i.e. suspension, sway control, overall safety...I’ve never towed with anything less than my truck.
2.) Hitch - Wanting a Class III...I've been looking into Draw-Tite, Reese, Hidden Hitch etc... I know they all have quality options but typically one will fit better than another. Which one looks "factory"?
3.) I noticed a small black “skirt” under the rear bumper. On the driver side its cut-out for the muffler. Does the hitch hang below this piece or is it cut to accept the hitch?
4.) Installation - I've installed hitches before, but again, never on a mini-van. Is mechanical install fairly easy? Are the bolt locations easily accessed? How about wiring…Easy access?
5.) Anybody have any pictures of their hitches?

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-13-2006, 08:51 AM
Default RE: '06 Aftermarket Tow Package

I1. I tow a 2000lb popup with my 01 Gc. Have added Ride control by airlift kit 59560, to control sag, added electric brakes to the pu, and utilize a hidden hitch 87717 class III hitch
3.)This hitch goes under the tailpipe
4.)It is alittle tricky to use wire to insert the bolts into the channel but there is no drilling, but you may have to cut a little to enlarge the starting hole.
I have had no problem with this setup and it pulls well, and with the pu brakes, stops well. You can serach Dogpile for each and will find pics of the hitchand airlift on some websites as well as install directions.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:38 AM

The weakness is the tranny. If you don't have the tow package radiator with the additional tranny cooler you may burn up the tranny by overheating the fluid. I think you can add an aftermarket tranny oil cooler. It's cheaper than replacing the tranny. I don't know what the warrenty implications are for adding non-factory parts. In the end it may be cheaper to have the $tealer$hip install some of the tow package.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Thanks guys.

I did call the dealership and asked about installing a factory tranny cooler. Come to find out, they ran the vin and I already have one. It seams that since I have the "Walter P" Signature Series, it being a "Touring" package that I have the cooler installed regardless if the tow package is present. I need to call them back and see if I also have the anti-sway and spring package as well.