Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Town and country shifing. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Default 08 Town and country shifing. Normal?

08 T&C with 6 speed and 3.8L

When accelerating moderately, maybe 30-40% throttle, maybe less, it reves to 3500 to 4000 rpm before shifting. This seems way late to me, but I have heard that these are kind of goofy shifting.
I took it to the dealer, and they did all the computer updates, but no updates for the shifting that it didn't have already.
Is this normal or not? My wife has a 6 speed in her Impala, and it sure doesn't do this. It is seemless. I thought about finding a used one at a dealer and asking to drive it to see if they are all that way.
My parents have a 10 or 11 with the 4.0L, and it shifts nicely.
The dealer never drove it, but told me it sounded normal. I don't know that I buy that.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:07 PM

I forgot to mention: When going down a hill with the cruise on, it downshifts! Man this got my attention when it did that for the first time! Is that normal?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:25 PM

That's normal in most cars. It's a safety function so you don't lose control of the car and speed down hills.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 PM

If it's normal it's a normal many aren't happy with. I'm seeing a good number of complaints on the 6 speed transmission on all 5th generation vans including the new 2012s on this and several other forums. Some are fixed by reprogramming, some by performing a quick learn procedure and some that nothing seems to help. Could be a factor in Chrysler switching to a 6 speed Hyundai transmission in 2014.

Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Raptor 07
If it's normal it's a normal many aren't happy with. I'm seeing a good number of complaints on the 6 speed transmission on all 5th generation vans including the new 2012s on this and several other forums. Some are fixed by reprogramming, some by performing a quick learn procedure and some that nothing seems to help. Could be a factor in Chrysler switching to a 6 speed Hyundai transmission in 2014.
Man I'm glad to hear you say that. Not that it helps the vehicle, but it affirms that this really isn't a normal operation. I tend to be a pretty conservative driver and really try to get the most mileage I can. I get 24.5 a lot of times, as I do a lot of highway and country road driving. But man I cannot hardly get on a county road with no traffic and keep the revs under 3000 rpm even babying it. The last two gears or shifts are great and normal. There are times when I really am just waiting on the thing to shift. It's still accelerating, but it's starting to lay over with the little throttle it is being given and the revs it is up to. The computer has the most recent updates, so I think a reprogram is out for helping me. What is there to a quick learn and do you have any confidence that it would help this condition? I fear this is really a programming issue, and I don't know how I can get around it.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM

First, I am far from an expert on the subject. Not even close. I am just relaying to you what I have read on several forums and articles.

Quick learn? Kind of a half step between reprogramming and doing nothing. In a nutshell, without getting into the weeds, it resets to default values the adjustments the transmission computer (TCM) has made to adjust to your driving habits in order to give you smooth shifts. Once reset, the TCM will again adjust shift points based on your driving habits. Will it fix it? I can't say that with any confidence. It has helped some, it hasn't helped at all for many others. Is it worth a try? I think so. It takes less than half an hour at your dealership but they will probably charge you around $100.

Reprogramming will do the same and as it states remove then reinstall the program that makes it all work. You may have the latest update but the program could still be corrupted.

If you would like copies of the reprogramming TSB narrative and Quick Learn procedures send me a PM with an email address. Not gobs of info there but may shed a little light on the subject.

Last edited by Raptor 07; 11-09-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:52 AM

Documents are on their way.