Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Town & Country VES Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Default 08 Town & Country VES Problem

I have a 2008 Town and Country with a very strange VES problem. Our vehicle has two rear screens. Whenever I open the front rear screen the VES system turns off. The front screen is completely black and the rear screen shows a split screen similar to the split screen that shows up when you are selecting the Mode. When I put the front screen back up the VES turns back on and the rear screen goes back to the last selected Mode, typically DVD for our purposes.

I have tried every configuration, Mode selection, screens up and screens down that I can think of. I have even disconnected the battery for 30 minutes to see if it would reset the system. No luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 AM

jecomer,

I have not previously heard of an issue like the you described. However after reviewing service bulletin information for the 2008 T&C there is one TSB regarding the VES system:

TSB #08-027-07

SUBJECT:
Flash: VES (Over Head Video Screen) Is Not Powering ON

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
VES (Over Head Video Screen) is not powering ON; but VES is active on the bus and is responding to all the diagnostic commands with StarSCAN® or StarMOBILE.

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Video Entertainment System (VES) with new software.

While its very difficult to say whether or not this TSB applies to your vehicle issue as this TSB doesn't describe your concern exactly as you do but I hope that this may help you or another forum member.

I would suggest having your local dealer diagnose this issue to verify whether or not a software update is needed or not.

Good luck on getting this issue resolved!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:09 PM

ChryslerCares, thanks so much for your reply and information. As a follow up, I took the van into a local dealership and gave them the TSB information. They tried to reload the software/firmware without luck. After some testing they came back and said that the VES had a bad "module" that was causing the problem. The cost of the module and labor was going to be around $800. They said that they would order the part and give me a call. That was over a month ago and I haven't heard from them. Honestly, I don't have $800 laying around to spend on fixing the VES, so I haven't pushed the situation.

My next question to you is, do you have any idea what "module" they could be referring to? If I had some idea where the module is and the ease of installation, I maybe interested in doing the repair myself. I was thinking I could go to a local salvage yard and remove the "module" from a wrecked vehicle and install in my vehicle. As a little background, I not a huge car guy, but I am fairly handy and I am also an electrical engineer. So I am not afraid of electronics.

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Unhappy 2008 T&C VES issues

I have a 2008 Town & Country with VES issues. Everything was fine before getting an oil change from the dealer. Once we left we didn't notice, but the rear VES was off, we assumed the tech turned it off while pulling into the bay. But, we went to turn it on, and nothing. The power light on the lower DVD player is off, pushing power does not turn it on. Using the menu -> VES -> "turn ves on" button has status of "OFF", pushing the soft button does not turn it on, it just blinks as you press it, but remains status OFF.

Opening the 2nd row screen does nothing, no picture, no power apparently. Opening the 3rd row DVD screen causes the power light to come on, on the lower DVD player and Chrysler logo appears on screen, but no video, the menu -> VES power still shows status off.

Inserting a DVD into the player (it has power and will accept, eject discs), causes power light on lower dvd player to light, but again menu shows, off, but after fiddling with the volume it does have volume, but very low when turned all the way up. No video to either screen.
Selecting sat TV does nothing, no video on front screen while in park, very low sound, no video to either rear screen. I am so disappointed as this was part of the reason we purchased our van. I have found many other owners of Dodge Caravans, whom have had the same issues. Have any Chrysler owners experienced this rear VES issue?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Default Same problem!

Wondering if anyone had resolved these issues yet. We have a 2008 Caravan with the same VES issues.

I have a My Gig REN with dual overhead monitors.

The front screens, top dvd player (which only plays in the front), and the radio work fine.

The bottom DVD player, seems to power on, will take a disk and play it on the front monitor, but there are problems with the back monitors. The middle overhead monitor wont work at all (totally blank) and the rear monitor will usually power up, but there's no sound. The front monitor will play just fine with both dvd players when car is in park.

The "power on" soft button on the My Gig/radio screen stays gray no matter what we do.

I've run updates, pulled fuses, and disconnected the battery. I'm guessing the problem is in the wiring, but I cant find a wiring diagram anywhere.

Any suggestions??

Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM

I have a similar issue. 2008 Town and Country and my rear VES doesn't work. The middle row is the one we use most. It started out only working if the montior was in a certain position. Not open all the way. Then that position changed over time. I assumed the issue was in the wiring of that screen. Now that screen doesn't work at all and the DVD player itself no longer plays. It will eject the DVD and accept it but it will not play. It used to grey out the option for VES on the front monitor. The third row screen lights but it shows a split screen as if I was selecting modes or if there is no DVD in there. We were going to replace the DVD player itself but I'm not sure that will solve our issue. I have disconnected the battery for over 30 with no luck. Not sure how to run updates. Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 PM

I had the same problem. Took it to a Chrysler dealership and they showed me how the front "module" (NOTE: the screen basically IS the module, therefore there are two modules in the touring edition, front and back) was not even responding to their diagnostic program and therefore couldn't be flashed or troubleshooted any further and had to be replaced. Sounds great until they quoted the part at $600 and the labor at $400. I laughed and said I'd think about it. Had my father in Albuquerque find me a used part (not sure which part company he bought it from, but all they sell is second-hand car parts, also you must specify which module you are planning to replace, apparently the front and rear modules are different) for $175. I put it in myself and it works great. I'm still unhappy that I had to pay anything for a module that seems to go out quite often and for no good reason. Mine worked fine for 2 months and then just stopped. Then I saw all of the posts in forums regarding this issue. Shame on you Chrysler. I love the versatility and features of minivans but between this issue and other maintenance nightmares to long to list here, rest assured I will take my wallet to your competitors next time. If anyone wants instructions on how to replace one of the modules let me know!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the response. I have purchased one off of ebay I will post if it resolves my issue or not once my husband installs it. The seller did not know which one was middle row or third row so I called my local Chrysler dealership to get a quote on the module and they said both modules were the same. At least for 2008 models. Thanks for your post!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Default Rear screen

I have just recently purchased a 2008 Town and Country. When I insert the DVD into the system, it will play on the main screen but will not play on the rear screen. I can only push "Rear VES on" which I have but the screen remains black. The sound comes through the speakers and DVD plays on the touch screen in front. Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 03-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Reading the troubles, im glad that my 07 Town and Country Touring didnt come it them in a factory stand point. Installing dual dvd screens myself seems to have been the way to go.

Quick Reply: 08 Town & Country VES Problem