Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

1997 T&C electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Default 1997 T&C electrical problems

Since March '11 we have had the following done: New fuel pump, new fuel filter, new instrument cluster board, new main computer, new CAM sensors (4 of them with three under warranty) new temp sensor last Sat. and probably some other stuff, but I don't want to get depressed by pulling out the bills. It's a little over $3K so far. Latest events have happened since the new main computer was put in last month. That was a dealer fix. (yeah right.) It still cuts off while in drive, but stopped, like on an exit ramp. Or the needles do a wild dance. The temp gauge has been stuck on a little past Cold even though it's warmed up. The battery light now comes on after it has been started a few seconds. First there's a "ding" then the light. The Check Engine" light is on all the time now, but it isn't throwing any codes. That all started happening last Friday and we had AAA tow it in again (Thank heavens for AAA Plus and a mechanic who's about 4 miles away.) After reading many similar complaints on another forum the fix seemed to be to hot solder a specific place on the instrument cluster board. We had our mechanic do this even though he couldn't see a problem. He also replaced the temp sensor and had a temp switch sent, but can't find where that switch goes. Today while going down the interstate the tach and speedometer went crazy again. Gauges would either stop working or needles would fly all over the place. Any help would be appreciated. After so many people said that soldering the board corrected their problem, I was so hoping that would do it. This is our only car and has a lift in it for my husband's power chair. So replacement isn't an option. I'm asking here for any help to keep us safe and running. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

If the check engine light is on there will be codes U will need a better scanner if its not showing any up.
ALl of that stuff sounds like a wire issue to me