Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

1999 T&C Limited Electrical Problem

Old 07-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Default 1999 T&C Limited Electrical Problem

My son is in a wheelchair and drives a 1999 T&C Limited that we purchased in 2003. We recently (Nov 2004) had the car converted to EMC (Electronic Mobility Controls) - they are hand controls for steering, braking, accleration, etc. Sporadically, the instrument panel gauges "die" (tach drops to zero. gas gauge zero, temp cold and speedometer zero). If this happens when he is driving, the car will continue to operate. If the gauges do not come to life when he is starting the car, the car won't start. A similar incident happened to me when I was driving the car before the EMC conversion, so I can rule out the conversion as the source of the problem. The frequency of this happening was increasing to once or twice a week and I took the car to my local mechanic. He ran some tests on the OBC and discovered error messages of buss communication, over voltage and under voltage and he indicated that it may be the BCM. I took the car to the Chrsler dealer (happened to be the same one who sold the car to the previous owner) and he indicated that the previous owner had brought the car in for service late 2002 for the same problem but did not have it fixed as he sold it shortly after that. The dealer agreed that it sounded like the BCM and I had it replaced for $685. Three days after having the BCM replaced, my son again had a similar incident while driving. This time, all the gauges died and the speedometer pegged out at 120. Additionally, when he stopped the car and attempted to lock it with the remote, it wouldn't work but the door locking button was able to lock the doors. About half an hour later, he returned to the car, the remote openned the door, the gauges came back-to-life and the car ran normally. Does anyone have any ideas what may be happening here! I am concerned that the car will completely die while my son is driving. Appreciate your help.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:35 PM
ace
Default RE: 1999 T&C Limited Electrical Problem

take it back to the dealership and tell them what happens it could be the bcm again dont be afraid its not a bad bcm design it is probably just bad luck. If it is the bcm it should be warranty from your other purchase
if it is not the bcm talk to the service manager give him a sob story of its been a good car except for this sometimes he may help if its a dif problem and it never hurts to ask