Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 crd cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Default 2.5 crd cutting out

hi.
i have a chrysler gr. voyager 2.5 crd limited. i love this car and i am really loathe to get rid of it but i have an intermittent fault that leaves me with no confidence in using it!!
the car starts perfectly every time no problem, but after driving for approx 10 miles the car just cuts out. if i am going fast enough i can dip the clutch and jump start it, but i have to jump it in 1st gear to get the engine turining fast enough. if i have to pull over i can flatten the battery trying to re-start it and it wont even fire. if i then leave the car for 20 mins (usually the time it takes to get somebody out with some jump leads!) i put the jump leads on and the car will fire and run like there was no problem. then it will go for about another 10 miles before doing it again.
one time it cut out just as i was driving into my drive at home. i left the car untill the following morning, and it started perfectly.
i have changed the fuel filter as i read somewhere that it could be this. about 1000miles before this started i had a small crash where i crushed the left side of the front bumper. i dont know if this has any bearing on the problem but thought i would mention it.
i hope someone can help as i am at a bit of a loss.
thanks
chris

Old 09-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Default Cutting Out.

You mention 10 miles then cuts out. So its heat related as in heat is causing a component to not send proper info to ECU. I'd go for sensors cam and crankshaft.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:57 AM
tfb

any fault codes? Search for "key dance"

Regards
Richard

Old 09-22-2013, 07:32 AM
Default crd cutting out

i have done the key method of retreiving fault codes and got a P1685. this i beleive is a code for a faulty/invalid key.

P1685 smart key immobiliser module has received an invalid key.

would this cause it to stop whilst driving though? i never have a problem starting the car at all. (only for the 20 mins after it cuts out!!)

Old 09-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Be interesting to see what transpires as to the real cause when you get to the bottom of this fault.

Leedsman.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
tfb

Reading up on the SKREEM doesn't say that it continually monitors that a valid key is inserted, it only refers to the sequence of events when you insert a key and try to start.

whereabouts in the country are you? as I may be able to have a look at it.

Regards
Richard

Old 09-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by tfb
Reading up on the SKREEM doesn't say that it continually monitors that a valid key is inserted, it only refers to the sequence of events when you insert a key and try to start.

whereabouts in the country are you? as I may be able to have a look at it.

Regards
Richard

Hi Richard.
i am in Hope Valley near sheffield. where are you based? how much do you charge? i have done a couple of tests on the crank sensor and they were just in the parameters ie. a resistance of 197ohms when i was advised it should be between 200 and 500 ohms. but i did not warm it up and see if the resistance drops/increases. other than this i am about at my limit of diagnostics i am afraid, so any help would be appreciated.
thanks for all your help so far everyone.
chris

Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM
Default Excatly the same

Hi
Have had any luck i have identical symptoms got no left to pull out tried all the usuall but no joy

Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM

hair sry missed that out lol

Old 07-27-2014, 03:09 PM

What's your car and fault codes.

Quick Reply: 2.5 crd cutting out