Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

2.8 CRD 2005 Grand Voyager Front Blower replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Default 2.8 CRD 2005 Grand Voyager Front Blower replacement

Hi
I have a right hand drive 2005 2.8 CRD Grand Voyager, the front blower fan started to make a "rumbling" noise and the speed varied slightly, sometimes stopping altogether.

I read with dread the problems people had trying to get the fifth screw out, hard up against the bulkhead etc. Didn't like the dealer price of over £140 for a new motor either.

Anyway, on a RHD 2.8CRD with automatic climate control, removing the fan is easy, takes about 10 minutes.

Disconnect the battery!
1. Remove glovebox and corner trim.
2. Remove recirculation servo motor, its on the right hand side of the footwell, two 8mm screws, just move it out of the way.
3. Remove bottom of fan housing, there are four 8mm screws all removed from underneath. (My manual says there are five screws, with one removed from the top...but not on my car!). The screw towards the front of the car is a little awkard, I used a flexible "Gooseneck" about 8 inches long (few quid from Halfords).
4. Three more 8mm screws hold the fan, when you remove them it basically drops out. Mind the carpets,my fan was quite dirty, thin layer of dirty grease just about all over it.

Putting it all back together almost as easy, then recalibrate the system, ignition on press and hold the power and recirculation buttons simultaneously for about 5 secs (climate control version) and it goes into a routine that takes about 20 secs.

I didn't renew the motor (£140!), just cleaned the brushes as best I could using an aerosol electrical cleaner. You could dissasemble the motor and replace the brushes, but you would have to pull the fan off the motor shaft, not sure you could do this without damaging it or putting it out of balance.

Anyway, it all worked, fan is very quiet and powerfull. Of course this is not a permanent fix I am going to try and source a motor from the USA now I have the details of the fan motor, which are:

70113 1815A
780594J Rev F
AY166100-0374
DENSO 11.8v

Made in Spain

Hope this helps somebody out.