Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.8 CRD Auto engine cut out on kick down

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by S6Voyager
Hi guys,

Ok so the car visited the chrysler garage this morning, they think its not the fuel pump as mine is located at the back of the car near the tank not in the engine bay one which is a commons cause, they are not 100% sure without doing a full check which would cost me a fortune!

but while they were checking they have very kindly made me aware I have oil coming from the engine/gearbox connection!!! great!

im ion talks with the dealer i bought it from ive only had the car 3 weeks!

Any other ideas please?????
- the fitters making you aware of oil from the engine /gearbox - yeh right !
- could well be caused by the same junior 'fitters' that did the last service badly
- spin-on's both oil & fuel not lubricated first or put on tight enough are frequent oc-ups!
- the end float bearing looks like its loosing oil, when in fact the oil filter [dripping down] was put on badly
- and the diesel filter put on badly sucks air or suffers from 'flow back' when in fact the diesel filter was put on badly

Be safe check the filters for leaks............

Old 02-24-2013, 05:56 AM

If you have no air leaks, probably is a bad injector...
The Ecu software is highly restrictive: if the fuel rail pressure is only a bit lower or higher than target point, it cut off the engine. Other cars hasn't this problem. For example if you disconnect an injector with the engine idling, it will died after about 2 sec, because the pressure raise too much compared to target pressure: other cars idles with 3 cylinders...
Another problem (i had) is the fuel pressure relief valve threaded on the right side of the fuel rail: if it leaks (like mine) the pump can't build up the needed pressure and the ecu cut off. To check this valve you need to disconnect the little return line tube near the valve and tap it, then connect a tube in the rail nipple: put the other end in a bottle and start a short test drive. If you can see fuel in the bottle then your valve is bad.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Just for info I have had my fuel filter changed and the problem seems [fingers crossed] to have gone. [i'll need to do some more mileage to be completely convinced] but so far I have been able to hard accelerate and exceed 2500 rpm without it cutting out.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM

You say Fuel Filer replaced, this just the replaceable element or the whole unit, casing and filter.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:41 AM

Just the replaceable fuel filter.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 AM

How many KMS had on it before change?

Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 AM

Afternoon gents,

Thanks for all you messages, ok the update, the car has been back with the dealer I bought in from (not a Chrysler dealer) for nearly 3 weeks as it was still under the warranty, I only had the car 3 weeks! The rear main oil seal had gone and was pissing oil everywhere so they have sorted that and the say they have traced the cutting out issue back to a leaking injector which has now been changed, they have been test driving the car for the last few days and its going back on the diagnostic tester today for a final check and i might get it back tomorrow!!!! fingers crossed!!!!

I have to take it back to Chrysler to have the airbag sensors changed which is free as part of a recall when i get it back so will get them to give it a once over again to make sure everything is ok! keeping my fingers crossed as this hasn’t been a great start to my Chrysler life!

will update once I know more!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 AM

Hi guys

Ok so I had the car back a week and all seems to be fine no cutting out and been back to chrysler for the air bag sensors and they say the oil leak has been sorted as well!!!!

BUT.....fuel consumption seems to be really high, I haven't had the car that long so am not sure what it actually performs like but put £50 in the other day was around 3/4 of a tank ish, told me around 280 miles left, now the light has come on, I've done 135 miles with 47 miles to go???? It just doesn't seem to be that good???

What can cause this???

Thanks

Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 AM

hi. my 2003 2.5 crd is currently in the garage having the same fault rectified. it seemed to get worse after its service the week previous. even though the fuel filter was changed. now ive been told its the fuel pump cutting out. my chrysler has now been in the garage for 10 days and this morning they tell me my fuel tank is absolutely full of black sludge which is clogging everything up. so they are gonna steam cleam the tank before they replace the fuel pump!! its a nightmare trying to ferry 5 kids about in a ford fusion hire car!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:25 AM

well seems the previous owner of my voyager had filled it with red diesel!!! added engine oil to disguise the colour and totally kill my fuel system. cost me £597 to get it fixed on weds!! no shes running lovely with the clean fuel tank and system. new fuel filters and added stp diesel treatment.

Quick Reply: 2.8 CRD Auto engine cut out on kick down